Why would a hard drive be detected in Windows but not Linux?

Andy Kamsan October 8, 2012

I reformated an internal hard drive that was used by a Mac. When I connected it to a Windows computer it could be detected by BIOS or Disk Management, but when I tried on another computer that has Linux neither BIOS nor the disk utility manager would recognize this. Any ideas why?

Is it a PATA, SATA or SCSI drive? If its a PATA (IDE interface) it could be a jumper and/or a cabling problem.

2. Harish Jonnalagadda

Yeah I would also suggest checking the cabling and cheking

Run tail -f /var/log/messages while you connect the driver. this can give you some info on what is wrong, perhaps driver missing?

4. ahmed Fouad khalil

Check any hardware issue for the HD connection like jumber not in the right position (master- slave issue)

then when it is recognize by BIOS, we can check the system issue

5. ashish khajuria

BIOS is not detecting the reason due port problem or cable problem not a OS issue. BIOS and OS has no relation with detection of hard drive.

As far as BIOS detection goes, the operating system doesn't matter becase we have not even hit that level of complexity yet. Check for a bad port or a cabling problem on the Linux machine since it is not seeing the drive in BIOS (gotta be a hardware issue of some sort).