Why does having a particular hard drive connected cause my computer to blue screen?

Jing August 6, 2012

I have a 80gb IDE and a 1TB SATA harddrive. Two days ago, the computer wasnt responding, so I rebooted, but it always reboots after few seconds at the scroll screen. I couldn’t start the computer. I tried to boot from a PE system on a CD, but came up with a blue screen. I also tried booting with the 80gb IDE, still blue screen. But the 80gb IDE worked when I took out the 1TB SATA. I am typing this while using the 80gb NOW. The problem is: when I attaches 1TB to the comp, no drive will boot, but detaching it makes everything work fine. How could I fix the 1TB drive if I can’t even boot any other drives when it is attached?
The blue Screen says that: if you have recently made any changes to softwares, like installing a antivirus or …, uninstall them……., Something like that. And sometimes it came up with a different screen, something about ‘pagefile.sys’ ….. The computer works fine; I’m using it right now with the 80gb, but I don’t want to reinstall the system on 1TB (I havent tried, doesn’t even know if that will work) and lose many of my files. I don’t think it is any viral problems or software.

1. Jordyn Bushaw

Sometimes it will try to boot off an external storage device, make sure your external hard drive is disconnected during startup so that it will boot off the internal hard drive instead.

2. Jordyn Bushaw

Either it's loading lots of startup information all at once, or one of your hard drives are failing.

3. Lm Kusanagi

it could be a faulty psu ,if u use a discreet graphic card then remove it and try plugging u r 1tb hdd along with 80gb if it works then it must be a psu issue which is falling short of power
    but before that try going to bios and load default settings.

4. ReĆ½ Aetar

is there any os installed or did you try to install the os in that 1 tb hdd from another computer before you attached it to this computer , then put the windows disc and clear all partitions in that disc and re format it and restart,,,,
    Or
    if that is not the case
    then change the cables that connects the hdd with the main board

I would say your problem is a mixture of the previous answers.

Since you installed Windows XP on an IDE hard drive you were never prompted to install an AHCI/RAID driver.
    Now, if the SATA Mode is set to AHCI/RAID within the BIOS your system fails accessing the drive when connected. As soon as you disconnect the SATA drive the error is gone and XP can start up as normal.

I believe all you have to do is enter the BIOS and set the SATA mode to Legacy (IDE).

6. Suman Acharya

my suggestions are -
    update the SATA drivers, enable SATA in BIOS and see if it is recognised, try replacing SATA cable (bad cable, conductor maybe the problem), try the SATA drive on another PC, run chkdsk with /f and /r switch in that drive.

7. ferdinan Sitohang

It is because your XP doesn't has a driver for AHCI. If you directly changing 1 TB AHCI mode into IDE, you has a possibility lost your data. if you already have an xp OS follow this instructions enable ahci, if from scratch prime-expert and from forum superuser

Check the BIOS setting for your SATA drive. If it was installed in IDE (Legacy) mode and later switched to AHCI, it will cause a blue screen, especially if you are using WinXP SP2 or earlier. It will also happen when using XP SP3 if the drive was installed after SP3 was applied unless you manually installed SATA drivers when you installed the drive AND the BIOS was set for AHCI mode.