How can I make my new hard drive compatible with my Philips DVD player?

Ron December 27, 2011

I have had a new hard drive from Comet. I’ve uploaded music and movies onto it, but when I use the USB into my Philips DVD player, it says ‘device not supported’. Any ideas please?

Hello, make sure to read the user manual for your DVD player.  Most times, in order for an external drive to be recognized when connecting to a TV or DVD player through USB, it has to be formatted with FAT32.  Chances are your hard drive is formatted with NTFS formatting.  First thing you have to do is move your files from your external to computer, format drive to FAT32 and then move files to external.  If you do it this way, your files will be recognized and be able to be played as long as your DVD player is compatible with the formats there. 

• Ronunsworth

Thanks for the replies. I am now trying to format the external hard drive, it had NTFS and I'm changinf it to exFAT. It's taking a long time though.

Hello, I think it would be a good idea to check if  your DVD player is compatible with exFAT.  Most TVs and DVDs aren't.  What is the DVD player's model?  FAT32 is compatible with any filesystem, it works in Mac, linux, pc, ps3, etc.  exFAt is only compatible with Mac and windows....not linux.  Let me know how it goes.

• Ronunsworth

Will do, my laptop is on Vista by the way.

• Blackjackshellac428

its a 2 part step
          from NTFS to exfat
          then format to fat32
          your dvd player wont read exFat
          i have a small portable and i take movies from my computor and watch them on my dvd player.
          i download all my mvoies and series from eitehr eztv which has all the shows or isohunt which has allo the movies
          even though you download a movie as avi it might not be a true divx
          i have found 2 free programs which i use to convert everything 1 is total video converter 2 is any video converter
          sometimes a movie is only avaialble as a mkv and these will cionvert to avi(divx)

is it formatted FAT32?