My hard drive is 320GB but computer is showing 138GB free of 219GB – where has my 100GB gone?

Karl Robson September 4, 2012

I have a Packard Bell Dot S netbook with a hard drive size of 320GB.

The C drive is showing “138GB free of 219GB”. is there a way of finding out where this missing 100gb is and if so how do I recover it?

1. Mark Shaw

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this happened to me when I got a "Laptop" quoted at 320Gb of Hard Drive space. I took the hard drive cover off my laptop, and was shocked to see it was 250Gb.

I just did a quick google search of your netbook, and saw it has a 250Gb hard drive... This could be it, but just to double check, I'd take the hard drive cover off (be warned, THIS COULD VOID YOUR WARRANTY) and see the size of the Hard Drive by looking at the printed sticker... I hope this helps you out :)
    Mark

Install Free Partition Recovery Software - EaseUS® Partition Recovery 5.0.1 from http://www.easeus.com/partition-recovery/ and recover your lost partition. This software is totally free to use.

3. Karl Robson

Thanks for the help guys so far only thing I haven't tried is Erlis' suggestion of trawling thorough all files manually and if I'm honest I'm not particularly keen on checking the size of every file on my computer manually.

Thanks again.

• Joel Alar

Hi karl,Please try to use the windirstat tool. its a freeware utility!

4. Usman Mubashir

Perhaps your 100 Gb is unallocated, check by using Paragon disk tools if it shows full 320Gbs. If not, then I think you've been trolled :p

5. Oron

In addition to the excellent points made by Bruce et al, to actually find your missing 100GB you should use a partition manager. You can either use a third party package such as:
    EasUS Partition manager -http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm ,
    Paragon Partition Manager - http://www.partition-manager.com/ ,
    or Ranish - http://www.ranish.com/part (rather more technical than the others)
    Or you could use the one built into Windows:
    Right-click on "Computer" and choose "Manage"
    Click on Disk Management on the left (under "storage")
    Choose your disc from the bottom pane ("Disk 0" unless you have more than one hard disc).
    This will show you the total size of every partition on your hard disc, which should add up to the total size of the disk (bearing in mind Bruce's point about decimal vs binary disk capacities). There are now two possibilities:
    - Most likely, you will find a "spare" partition or area of the disc with the space you're missing. This could be a hidden partition, or it may be an unallocated part of the disc (in the latter case, you can either extend the C: drive to use that space, or create a new partition and format it).
    - Alternatively, and unlikely (but possiblew) is tat you you will still be short of the 100GB. In this case, your hard disc is suffering from a serious hardware problem. Drives have some spare sectors to compensate for minor problems on the disc, but if there are too many bad sectors then the total hard disc capacity will go down. Copy your disc and replace is ASAP!

• Karl Robson

How do i find bad sectors ?

• Oron

You don't, the hard disc's controller (part of the HDD's hardware) does this automatically, although there are some hard disc utilities (e..g SpinDoctor) that can force the disc to check that.

• GrrGrrr

i agree with you. there might be space available to be allocated in an used partition.

perhaps taken by windows restore points, try to reduce the size
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/quick-tip-shrink-the-size-used-by-windows-7-system-restore/4117

see what partition find and mount will tell
    http://findandmount.com/

7. Erlis Dhima

Also, I have to add, that maybe you have to analyze if there is any folder where any program might have created any temp file!
    I used a program once to record the daily activity in my computer, and didn't know it was active! I had 60GB used on my hard disk, and I got crazy!
    Just, check every folder on your hard disk! It's boring, but it might help!

First thing you have to do, go to your local disk (c or d, whatever you have it!), click properties, and watch the used size on that partition! Open it, and select all the files, and click properties, and see the files size! If the file size is almost equal to the one of the partition, than it's not the problem I mentioned!
    Check the other comments if so!

The first area of loss is due to reporting differences. Drive manufacturers use base 10 math when reporting sizes so 320GB is 320 billion bytes but computers report this information using base 2 which gives a result of approximately 298 GB.Next, there is probably a recovery partition on the system as well (it may or may not have a drive letter assigned to it) which is going to rob some of the space for the your OS partition (normally in the range of 10-20GB depending upon how much extra stuff came installed on the computer). There may also be a small 100MB system partition that has no drive letter assigned that holds boot files that are required for the system to start.There is also a small amount of overhead (normally around 150MB or so) for system structures on the disk (to let the OS record and retrieve information about the files stored on it and where they are physically located on the disk).Based on this information, it would appear that your drive either has more unpartitioned space on it or there is another partition that you have not indicated in your question (you have a second drive letter in Windows Explorer that exists on the same physical drive as your C partition). You can find out by opening Disk Management (click on the Start orb and type 'diskmgmt.msc' and press Enter.

• Karl Robson

Using EaseUS Partition Manager Home Edition I can see:

C: = 219GB
      recovery partition = 13GB
      system partition = 100MB

cant see the 150MB for system structures you mentioned.
      I have no other partitions on the hard drive.