Why is my hard disk space reducing after watching online videos?

January 17, 2014

When I watch online videos my hard disk space gets consumed. I installed C Cleaner to delete temporary files but it is also has not been able to recover that used up space. I have lost around 10-12 GBs in it. Please suggest how to recover it without formatting my laptop.

Editor’s note: This is likely ¬†Windows 7 system.

1. Mike Merritt

Use WizTree from: http://antibody-software.com/web/index.php?ref=wiztree
    and choose "Scan" then the "Largest 1000" tab. It'll search your whole hard drive and show the biggest files first.

CCleaner removes a lot of temporary and obsolete files but not all of it.

One would have to know what type of online videos you are watching and how the video system is working in the background. For example a Flash stream would only save a small buffer on the hard drive which should never become that big. If it's some mp4 or WMP stream the movie(s) might be fully downloaded and stored in a location CCleaner doesn't touch by default.

I believe TreeSize or a similar application (as Hovsep suggested) is your best option right now. At the end of the day it might not even be the online videos taking up the space. It could very well be updates, system restore or something else.

What websites are you viewing the videos and how are you watching them? Some videos need to be downloaded in order to watch them, so you may need to find the app and location of the files to delete. Use the software Hovsep mentioned and take note of the folder location as it may allow you to figure out what app is downloading the videos. There may be settings within the app where you can move the download location.

use treesize free edition to see what is consuming the space
    http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/