Hard disk space didn’t change after cleaning.

vishwajeet February 1, 2010

i just cleaned up my c drive and the document folder is just removed but space is same as before and it is not searching the files of documents also please suggest……

1. DaveH

Data is still on the hard drive. Defrag the drive you cleaned to see a difference. The best I've found so far is MyDefrag, but any decent program is fine. Just don't waste time with Windows' defrag... It takes forever, and then doesn't do a good job of it.

I second Paul's tip on restarting Windows.

If you're trying to understand what uses most of your disk space i would recommend tools reviewed in one of the following MakeUseOf articles:

-Recover Hard Drive Space with TreeSize [Windows]

- Find Lost Space On Your Hard Disk With Space Sniffer

More articles on Disk Usage

3. Paul (aka Capt. Ahab)

1. You may need to restart Windows to see the difference - depending on what flavor of Windows you have.
    2. Hard drives are HUGE these days. Unless you deleted something really large, the difference may not be visible.
    3. Uninstall unused software using "Start" - "Control Panel" - unused downloads are where most of the wasted MBs hide - It's a rare PC that doesn't have useless junk installed.
    Good Luck, Capt. Ahab