What happened to my external hard drive when it fell off the table?

abbas May 8, 2012

Hi,

I am using a Seagate 1TB external hard drive and recently it fell off my PC table. Now I can’t read it!

The issues I’m having are:

1. I hear a beeping sound whenever I start my PC.
  2. The external hard drive is not displaying at all on my computer.
  3. The option to eject the drive is also not there.

Please help me recover my hard drive!

1. kumar raja

You had posted that beep sound is can u post its a
    Long Beep sound
    Or
    Short Beep sound

I may help by answering the above

2. Irshaad Abdool

maybe your external drive is not shock-resistant
    i suggest that you unscrew and open it. detach it from the USB-to-SATA interface and try to connect it directly to your motherboard via the SATA ports

3. Laga Mahesa

Seagate externals don't have any cushioning inside. I found this out the hard way with my GoFlex - which, after replacement, now sits in a drawer and is no longer considered portable.

The best I've ever used was the Buffalo MiniStation - the internal cushioning was excellent which helped protect the already-robust Samsung spinpoint drives they contained. I bought three and have recycled the cases throughout the years as I upgraded capacity - the drives themselves still work fine.

• Jackie

Cant agree with you. my Buffalo MiniStation fall on floor and keeps come out beep sound too! :( worry about my data lost.

4. Aruzmeister

External Hard rive are very expensive and sensitive things if they have simple wire fluctuation then there is no chance of working then if you throw from table then surely it will crass and you will be ruin

5. Oron

The likelihood is that your hard disc has suffered real damage which cannot be repaired at home, but with luck it may be just the electronics of the external drive's enclosure (=box) which are damaged rather than the drive itself.

You can try taking out the drive from the enclosure and either trying it inside your PC (if it is a desktop PC with spare connectors and space) or by buying a USB-SATA enclosure which you should be able to pick up quite cheaply from eBay and the like (small ones for 2.5" drives cost very little, perhaps $5 or so, larger desktop-style ones for 3.5" drives cost $15-30).

Hello, visit the following site provided in the link and check the sound your external drive is making. It should tell you or give you and idea of what the problem is:

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

7. Matt Smith

Well, it sounds like there may be some damage to the drive's mainboard. The beeping sound is probably an error code from your computer's motherboard that is trying to tell you something about the hard drive. If you have a manual for your motherboard, look up the error code there.