What will happen to registered software if Windows gets corrupted?

Osama Javaid May 8, 2012

If I purchase some expensive softwares and games then install these on my PC and then suddenly one day Windows gets corrupted and I have to reinstall it without having to uninstall software/games first, is there any possibility that these will not re-register when I re-install the Windows?

1. kumar raja

Its not a Proble U can install OS and reinstall the software and register with the same key it will be ok

2. kurt

also, you may be able to avoid a windows reinstall in the first place with reimage.com

3. Osama Javaid

Well what about online activation of multiplayer games like battlefield 3, so in that case I'll lose my online single activation and have to purchase a new copy I guess...

I'm not sure how the BF3 online activation works. The last game I played online were in the Command & Conquer series. Even when they switched to having both local & online activations, when I did a system rebuild and reinstalled my local copy of the game, when I logged into their servers the next time, my online activation was still valid. I didn't need to do anything at all since it was still getting the same information passed from my computer to their servers to validate my machine & my identity and was apparently verified with what was contained in their database. I would imagine it would be similar to what the current online games are doing as well.

4. Aruzmeister

there may be type of that like if you bought it then it won't lost means you get reg file or key something for disk or download link history or if you use free software or crack version then there may be less chance to see it...or else you can repair windows and see the things

Hello, the possibily is always there of having trouble re-registering software after your drive dies or your system gets corrupted. Most times any software worth its name, provides support for these cases as long as you call them and explain your situation.

if you have valid license then you can re register unless
    1) Machine dependent license, so you have to contact the support to generate a new one
    2) Some license have limited activation number per year, so you have to contact the support.
    3) If they are giveaway license such as from the softmaker and there is a condition to activate the license until certain date, then afterwards if you re-install then will not get valid.

once you install windows and install all your expensive soft, then do a backup like with acronis true image so if something happens with Windows you can use the image to recover windows with all installed software.

Depends on the software, but yes.

As Bruce explained some software may need to be re-installed. Depending on how those were registered and/or activated you may not be able to do this again.

Usually when you buy software you either get some license key or they are registered to an account. Such software can usually be installed again without any problem.

If a software requires internet activation additional steps may be necessary. Some of them might be restricted to a single activation which is still active since they were not properly deinstalled. In that case you might have to contact the developer or activation service provider.

If you are using software e.g. from http://www.giveawayoftheday.com or similar sites you will not be able to reinstall them again. Those installers only work within the time of promotion and are not "lifetime licenses".

Absolutely. There is always that chance. When reinstalling Windows, the registry will be rebuilt. If any other software has added data to the registry, it will be gone upon reinstallation of Windows and will require the application to be reinstalled to put its data back into the registry as well (including the program's registration/activation data). If this isn't done - unless it is a portable application - there is a great likelihood that it won't work at all.