Why is Handbrake selective about the .vob files it converts?
Question by Major Upgrade /

I’ve been backing up my DVD collection to my Windows XP SP3 laptop hard drive. I use DVD Decrypter to rip the main movie to a .vob file, then use Handbrake to convert the file to a .mp4 file.

Eight times out of ten it works without a hitch, but every once in a while Handbrake refuses certain movies. The black encode screen will open for a few seconds with no information then close, then the message “Encoding Finished” pops up in the tray.

I’ve tried to isolate the reason, but it seems pretty random. Has anyone experience this and know of a reason or fix?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , , .
Windows Tips
Windows Tips
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Mac OS X & Software
Mac OS X & Software
Mac Switchers
Mac Switchers

• pceasies

Make sure you are selecting the correct vob. You want to make sure you select the first 1GB (or similar). Some movies have multiple vobs that are 10-60secs that have advertisements and previews in them. Looking at my Iron Man DVD to first vob of the actual movie is VTS_03_1.vob, with lots of extra small ones before it. If you still can’t get it to work you may also want to give AutoGK a shot.