How do you hack a cell phone to make calls from someone else’s number?
Question by GirthBrooks /

I’ve received 2 harassing calls in the last 6 months from a cell number. When I call  the number back, some unsuspecting guy answers who is also receiving calls from strangers. How is this possible?

yes, I would be happy if my contribution helps you people :)
    btw my name is Jay, jeff is another busy guy answering these questions !

I can understand how lame it was.

how to catch these pranksters, i don’t know.

links of articles of such incidents: i recalled one such incident, but could not find a link, as it was really old:
    One an Indian star sent a text message to a successful director,
    and both were clueless, how did this happen.
    actually it was done by media to aware people about this fake calls and sms thing.

actually i tried to test this once, but then i read this line : “international call rates applied.”
    so I skipped the idea of testing it :)

• Jeff Fabish

That’s me! (:

Andrei, have you complained to your service provider yet? When the person calls, do you recognize the number or is it different everytime? Services such as SpoofEm offer a web-based interface to spoof calls, you can go to their website and request that your number not be called from the interface. Do this for all similar services. 

I agree, this is indicative of call spoofing. Though web-based spoofing isn’t the only way to spoof the call, it’s certainly the most popular. Preventing it is very difficult, especially if they spoof their number to be that of your friends. Read this article by Squidoo to help prevent call spoofing.

But i will destroy the guy that treads on me, by crashing his company servers and filling his inbox up with obscene gay porn. (mu-ha-ha)
      I strongly advise that you stay within your legal limits.

calls can be spoofed, and it is possible that,
    his friend/enemy used his number as caller id to harrase you, so he will be blamed.

and the same person may be harassing him using another number as caller id.

I will not mention any free/paid service in reply to how this can be done.
    (i dont knw such service, and i wold not have mentioned it even if i did.)

and i request others the same who are going to post comments below, so innocent persons does not face troubles.

ps : spoofed call is just a possibility,

a number can be actually hacked and hacker can call others from your number,
    but in that case, the hacked number will be charged.
    and in the case of spoofed call, i don’t think so, as is it is a fake call, not a real one.
    you can ask the guy if he is losing his balance, or if he is charged for calls he never dialed.

if he is charged, number is hacked,
    if he is not,
    some prankster is using spoofed calls.

• Andrei Mellas

Thanks Jeff i see that you are a busy man answering all these questions ;-D

It happened once long ago when I first starting dating my “now” wife and “then” girlfriend by an estranged ex-boyfriend of hers. He lives(ed) in Canada and pranked me one nights screaming about stealing the paper off his door and that he was coming over now to confront me. (i was kind of spooked it was like 3am and i was asleep) So anyway when I woke the next day and called the number back; the guy seemed as intrigued by it as me. 
      I suspect he phreaked? into someones cell and made the call that way. 
      The second time, a couple weeks ago, the old man on the other side of the line was more upset than me because “nobody has called him in days” and probably thought I and the other person who called him were joking. 
      If you have any relevant links or articles to pas that would be good. I just recently took a web design class and started reading publications like 2600 so my road is long and barren. But i will destroy the guy that treads on me, by crashing his company servers and filling his inbox up with obscene gay porn. (mu-ha-ha)
      that will be the last guy to ever prank me about stealing some papers….lamer!