Why is GTA IV running slow on my PC even though it meets the recommended hardware specification?

Osama Javaid April 4, 2012

I installed GTA IV on my PC with the specs shown in this picture:

http://flic.kr/p/bJiUba

My computer is above the recommended requirements for the game, but when I run the game, it is extremely slow with severe jerks during gameplay. I recently played battlefield 3 with high graphics settings on the same PC without any problem . Is there anything GTA IV requires even more than battlefield 3 ? What upgrade is required in the current specs to run this game?

1. charles

my computer
    i5 pros
    8gb ram
    500 gp hdd
    nvidia ddr3 1gb graphics card
    but gta IV running very slowly
    pls help

2. Osama

The game worked fine after installing patches and using game booster. Anyways thanks for the replies.

3. Prakash

use latest  Graphics drivers and install game booster , hope it will help to boost your gaming performance 

4. M.S. Smith

The dual-core processor could be at issue. I have heard that GTA IV runs much better on quad-cores than on dual-cores. It's one of the rare games where there is a big difference.

Otherwise, none of your specs are amazing. While they may meet the recommended specification, sometimes studios don't do a great job when they outline those. There were a ton of complaints about GTA IV's performance on the PC when that game was released, so I think the developers under-estimated.

If you want to upgrade just for this game I'd start with the processor (get a quad-core) then do the GPU and then the RAM.