Can I group calendars in Google Calendar?

Robert A. April 13, 2010

Is there a way to group calendars together in gcal, kinda like labels in gmail? I have a calender for each school subject and sometimes having 8 calendars displayed is distracting. Is there a way that I could just click on one calendar called “school” and then have the calendars for each subject displayed too? Or maybe just a way to use multiple colors for 1 calendar?

1. R.Ascherman

I finally Found out how to do it! (can anyone explain how to edit the first script listed)

Grouping
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/24338

Multiple colors for 1 Calendar
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/10129

Robert,

thanks a lot for sharing your solution!

Robert,

maybe rather than working with colors, which appears not to be possible, you could work with signs. You could code your events with different keys, for example + for maths and * for geography.

Or did you find another solution in the meantime? Please let us know!

3. Robert A

... let me clarify i want to click school and have all 8 subjects appear or disappear all at once / all at the same time, so that i don't have to individually click every single subject.... i already know how to do the stuff everyone mentioned.

The idea is that I could have a group for school, a group for extra curricular activities and a group for habit tracking or what not... I currently have 11 calendars under the my calendars box and since the box only shows 2 at a time its really annoying going through all of them to turn the school ones off and then finding the other ones and turning them on... selecting display only this one and then finding the other 3 isnt much better... and going back and turning on all the school ones sucks!

So i figured if i couldn't have a group maybe i could just have 1 calendar called school but have different colors for each event. i.e. one calendar called "school" with an event called math test in orange and then in that same calendar an event called English test in blue

thanks in advanced

4. Rose

If you mean that having 8 calendars displayed in the sidebar is distracting then you could try a browser addon to hide the sidebar, something like this: http://www.danielslaughter.com/2010/03/02/google-calendar-gcal-hide-sidebar-and-search/ might help.

5. Jessica Cam W.

"Is there a way that I could just click on one calendar called “school” and then have the calendars for each subject displayed too?"

You actually already have this feature. After you have assigned a color to each calendar, like Tina said by clicking on the arrow to select a color (in the My Calendars box on the left sidebar), the default view displays all the calendars you have created, so you don't have to click on a specific one called 'school'.

When you just want to view the calendar for one of your subjects, just click on the arrow of that calendar, and click on "Display only this Calendar" in the drop-down menu.

If you want to go back and view all of your calendars, just click on all of the 8 calendars.

Robert,

where are you viewing your Google calendars?

If you view the through Google.com/calendar, you should see a little box called "My calendars" in the left-hand menu. The box lists all your calendars and through calendar options (click on the little arrow) you can give each calendar its own color. By clicking on a calendar name you can select or unselect it. This way you can view only a select set of clanedars.

Here is a screenshot for better clarity. The Calendar called Tina is unselected, the other two are selected.

I don't know of a way to group calendars or use different colors for different events within the same calendar. However, there may be tools that import Google calendar data, which can do this.

Please provide us with more details in case I didn't quite answer or understand your question.