Is there a Greasemonkey script to remove the ugly Facebook chatbox?

Mark July 10, 2011

Is there a working Greasemonkey script available to remove the ugly new Facebook chatbox which is now perched permanently on the right side of my Facebook account?

It’s taking up too much valuable screen estate and I want to permanently nuke it. Trouble is, every script I find doesn’t work anymore.

1. Ax

With Facebook chat on Skype, I would love to eliminate the chat box all together. Seems like having two services checking online status of my friends is a waste.

2. Sonny Bass

At the bottom of the chat box is a small arrow. Click the arrow to get the option to hide the sidebar. That at least puts it back like it was on the left.

• Kris Holt

I'm sure that's not the solution he's looking for, me either for that matter. Is there truly a reason to have an extensive list names permanently docked on the right side of the screen, most of whom are not online? Either someone or FB needs to provide a means to op out and go back to the original design.

• Sonny Bass

That does take it back to the original design. I understand that may not be what everyone wants, but the way it was is better than the large one.

• Kris

When it's hidden it looks the same but when opened displays the list of friends not all of which are currently online. For instance my sidebar shows 27 names but there are only 11 showing active or inactive, the remaining show no status.

• Sonny Bass

Once you close it why open it back up. Two days ago mine moved top the right, grew large, and ugly. I did as I wrote above,it moved back to the left and looked and behaved as it always had before. The only time it goes back to ugly is so I can Take a screenshot. 

• Kris Holt

I'm not a FB user myself but I could think of using either Adblock with a custom filter to remove it completely or use some sort of user stylesheet (via Add-on/Plugin) to resize it.