What new graphics card should I buy?

ajax December 15, 2011

I am currently using a PC with Windows XP Pack 3. It has a dual core 2.5 GHz processor and a G33/31 chipset. It’s a very bad experience and I want to upgrade the graphics. What card should I go with? I don’t want anything super high-end but I do want to be able to play most recent games.

1. Knadi

Well Radeon 7750 is good choice because it works without external power for lower end system but is still pretty decent for gaming. For more advice on which graphics card you should buy see http://www.whichgraphicscard.com

You are on Direct X9 with windows xp? you need a graphic card that supports at least direct X10 and if you want the most recent games perhaps graphic card direct x11. Try Nivdia 9600  GT series, they say G33/31 chipset is equivalent to ATI HD 2600XT

ATI Radeon HD 2600XT vs Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS
    http://www.techspot.com/review/66-radeon-hd-2600xt-vs-geforce-8600gts/

• ajax

i am  a newbie :(
      i didn't understand direct x9???
      please elaborate

DirectX is like an interface to send instructions to the video card

So Windows XP support Direct X9
        if you look this article you will see the pictures are better with DirectX10 and 11 because you have more details
        http://www.legitreviews.com/article/487/1/
        in order to play directx 10 games your graphic card should be certified DirectX10 capable other windows cannot display the game or at least on maximum good conditions.

so running a game in DirectX11 will likely lower your frame-rate (FPS) on the same hardware versus running a game in DirectX10 if the graphic card is not high ending capable DirectX11 games

DirectX11
        http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/directx-11
        for example DirectX11 introduced Tessellation — to increase at runtime the number of visible polygons from a low detail polygonal model

Microsoft DirectX is a set of technologies designed to transform a Windows computer ideal platform for running and displaying applications with many multimedia elements (images, true color, video, 3D animation and other sophisticated sound effects ).

Direct3D 9Ex, Direct3D 10, and Direct3D 11 are only available for Windows Vista and Windows 7 because each of these new versions was built to depend upon the new Windows Display Driver Model that was introduced for Windows Vista. The new Vista/WDDM graphics architecture includes a new video memory manager supporting virtualization of graphics hardware for various applications and services like the Desktop Window Manager.
        Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM, also WVDDM during the Vista time-frame) is the graphic driver architecture for video card drivers running Microsoft Windows versions beginning with Windows Vista.It is a replacement for the Windows XP display driver architecture aimed at enabling better performance graphics and new graphics functionality.The WDDM specification requires at least Direct3D 9-capable video card and the display driver must implement the device driver interfaces for the Direct3D 9Ex runtime in order to run legacy Direct3D applications; it may optionally implement runtime interfaces for Direct3D 10/10.1 and higher

I would upgrade your OS to windows 7 for a start. XP is about 8 years old, and doesnt work with the latest directX I dont think. Its also not supported by MS anymore. 

Other than that, I dont think your CPU is really up to the task of playing the latest games, even with a new GFX card. You cant just update one part of your system and disregard the rest, or it would be a waste of the upgraded bit. To play the latest games - even not high end - I would look at at least an i3 intel with 4gb ram, and a 9800GT graphics card or better.