What GPU better than GeForce 9500 GT is compatible with a GA-G31M-ES2C (rev. 2.x) motherboard?

Wiry Andi August 5, 2012

I want to upgrade my graphics card. Mine is nVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT,
but I’m afraid that the graphics card I bought will not be compatible with my motherboard. However, I don’t want to replace my motherboard.

Are there graphics cards that fits in my motherboard? Because I’m not sure whether my motherboard is DDR2 or DDR3.

1. jrasulev

Nvidia GTX560

2. Oron

Given the specs of your machine, most modern cards should work fine with your motherboard, although I obviously can't give you an absolute guarantee. You obviously need to get a PCI-E x16 card, and the main limitation is that its peak power requirement shouldn't exceed 120W or so.
    For example, the AMD HD 4850 or 6570 chipsets should both be OK..
    On the NVidia side it's more difficult to find cards that would work within this power limit and still provide enough extra umph to be worth the upgrade, but at least you know what to look for now!

• Wiry Andi

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-550ti/specifications
      is this compatible? because it says it need supplementary 6 pin power connector

• Oron

Yes, it should work, but you will may well need to get the 6 pin adapter It's possible it'll be included in the box though, or you could order it from eBay.
        Best of luck!

• Wiry Andi

Thanks a lot!

3. Wiry Andi

im sorry, i forgot to give a link, this is my motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2C (rev. 2.x)

4. Lambvolution

you can choose ALL GPU with PCI-E x16 interface.

5. Zenphic

Your motherboard supports any PCI-e video card out there, regardless of PCI-e revisions including 1.0 through 3.0 and video card RAM type. Things that will affect compatibility between your system and the video card are power requirements and video card size. Some video cards will require a quality power supply to power them via a PCI-e cable. Larger video cards might not fit properly in your case and may block your on-board SATA ports if the card uses up multiple PCI slots.

If you're looking for a modern video card that offers a significant boost over the Nvidia 9500 GT and that should be compatible with your current configuration (motherboard and power supply), the AMD Radeon HD 6670 would be a good choice.

6. Oron

Wiry Andy, to be on the safe side, tell us what motherboard you are using and how powerful your power supply is, as these could have a bearing on your choice.

• Wiry Andi

GA-G31M-ES2C (rev. 2.x) motherboard
      450W peak
      thanks for answering :D

7. Daniel Pettinger

Oh, and just because a better card does fit, don't expect far greater performance in some cases because the rest of the components may not be up to speed.

And the Nvidia GTX range of cards are good (which depends on your budget etc).

• Wiry Andi

around <$150 nVIDIA Graphic card is good

8. Daniel Pettinger

Aslong as the graphics card supports PCI-E x16, it should fit in the PCI-E x16 slot. Simple as. Don't worry about the memory type on the graphics card itself. That only matters when considering what RAM/memory you want, which is DDR2 for you if this is your motherboard:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3135#sp

• Wiry Andi

then will this http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gts-450/specifications fit to my motherboard? because its DDR5

• Daniel Pettinger

The memory on the graphics card doesn't matter. Aslong as it's the same PCI slot, it'll work.

You only need to worry about memory type when considering RAM memory sticks (DDR2 for your motherboard).

Your mobo says PCI-e, not PCI-E 2 (version 2) like that graphics card. Although the card should still work (cards tend to be backwards compatible), you just won't be able to use it to it's full potential (PCI-E 2 is faster -> PCI-E 3 is faster than that etc.)

Also, make sure your power supply is good enough (That card needs atleast 400w, so 500-600w or around there is good as it probs won't use 400w, just require it incase.)

Finally, make sure your case is big enough to fit the card! If you were lucky to get a new one, they are rather large nowadays.

• Wiry Andi

so, the memory type of the motherboard only matter if i change my RAM (e.g. from DDR2 to DDR3 RAM)?
          my power supply is 450 W.

• Daniel Pettinger

Just make sure it's atleast a PCI-e x16 card for your x16 slot (Best speeds and modern cards use that slot).

You could really do with saving up for a new system ;)