Is it possible to use the GPS features of Android 2.3 without a GPS connection?

DrSunil Vaswani April 11, 2012

1. Declan Lopez

i think you need connection to the satellite for the gps function to work

2. ANN

how do i track someone by their cell phone, want to track my grand daughter when she's away in my car

• Susendeep Dutta
    • Kannon Y

I don't think there are any *legal* methods of tracking your grand daughter's cell phone. There are probably a number of ways you could track your own car, using your own cellular device.

First, Susendeep Dutta's linked article explains how to track a phone with the Android operating system on it. Basically, you either buy a phone with Android and GPS (most phones have it by default), follow the directions and then track the phone.

Second, if you have placed the phone in your car, you should then be able to track your own car, provided it doesn't lose its GPS signal or optionally its WiFi or 3G signal.

3. Prajeesh V V

Yes... buy the maps of MAP MY INDIA. I think it costs upto 2500 INR.  Highways and state highways are not accurate in this map. But cities are okey....

• Goodysunny

Very Nice answer

But any free app for India?

4. toot

If you are looking at the apps which needed location service, it may not need the GPS connection. But I doubt the GPS feature is possible without the GPS connection.

Thanks.

• Goodysunny

Actually the question which I had posted was " How to use Gps (in Android 2.3) without Gprs connection? " but second half of the question was published as "Gps connection" instead of Gprs connection"

5. Indronil Mondal

google maps do not have offline feature,
    search for an app that allows you to save maps and use them offline in nokia nokia maps allows it so there must be some app in android too give a search
    also check this
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-3-free-offline-gps-apps-android/

• Indronil Mondal

if you want a paid app then see this
      http://www.sygic.com/en

• Goodysunny

I had read that gps navigation works through satellite , so I asked

• Goodysunny

These and Navfree = do they work through satellite system and not through Gprs?

• Indronil Mondal

yes it works through satellite to track your position but show you your position it needs a map which is downloaded through gprs or if any is preinstalled

• Goodysunny

I understand that maps can be downloaded through gprs

but after maps are installed , the app can then be used without gprs?

• Indronil Mondal

yes there is a offline mode that doesnt use the gpre only gps is used

7. Goodysunny

8. Sri Vastav Reddy

Sadly and Simply i would say NO. :-(

• Goodysunny