Is Google two step authentication hack-proof?

Mark P June 4, 2014

I use google Authenticator for two step verification. Are there any ways, short of someone just stealing my phone, for someone to get past my two step and get into my accounts?

1. Alan W

There has been a number of articles recently of malware etc being injected into apps etc. How many times do you download an app for your phone and it wants you to approve access to your data etc? Google Identity Theft and read away, there are a number of ways your security can be compromised.

If someone steals your phone,then the thief can get to know your mobile number and then an use to reset your account password,since mobile number is used as a mechanism for account recovery.After that,you'll be helpless to use your account.A phone nowadays holds much more user data that is much more valuable than money for a user.

• Mark P

Except I did say short of someone stealing my phone. It's pretty obvious that if someone grabbed my phone I'd be screwed.

3. Alan W

A direct answer to your question has to be that NOTHING is hackproof.

• Mark P

If nothing is hackproof, I'm curious HOW someone could get into my account without having my phone when I need to use the authenticator app in order to login. I have relatively strong passwords behind the 2 step, I'm just curious if its possible to get by two step verification.

• Oron J

See Alan & Rajaa's replies! It's a matter of waiting to see if someone can come up with a way of getting in!

It is very difficult to comment if any security methodology is hack-proof or not and what may happen in the near future. However, it is certainly much more secure than the single step authentication.