Why are my Google Now transit cards suddenly not appearing?

Gordon Scott October 13, 2012

Hi,

First off, every setting on my Android phone is correct – all location services, yadda yadda.

I would have my transit card appearing in Google now virtually all day, till bus service ended. I live 2 doors away from a bus stop.

I had this working perfectly for months, I have my home and work location in Google maps.
What has changed is that I was only working temporarily, until a couple weeks ago. The card stopped appearing 2-3 days ago.

As a stop gap measure I am using the traffic card with Transit selected. But that’s really Navigation. I know Google Now watches your behavior. Yes I’m not going to that area as frequently as I was, but I still need the transit cards for my day to day life.

Any suggestions?

1. gordon

Hi yes my cards have started to appear in the last few days I didn't really do much except change my work location and a back and forth from my original work location to my home and then back to my work.

Seems they only work once I have gone out and am traveling around the city.
      I went over to the bus stop near my home and stood there for a few minutes, no transit cards showed up but the navigation card did. Still a work in progress.
      I'll report back as I learn more.

• will

Thanks for sticking with this Gordon.
        I have tried changing both home and work locations but to no avail.
        I haven't had any luck with being in the city either.
        My navigation card is always there, but no luck with public transit.

• Gordon Scott

my next move is to delete the navigation card and see if the transit card returns

Hey Gordon, I think the issue is either an unpatched error in Google Now's transit cards or your "web browsing history" might be disabled, which is something that you don't access from Google Now: Transit Card -> Settings.

I have to admit that I've never used Google Now for public transit, but I've been going over the app, and it appears to be working as advertised. However, other users are reporting the same issue as you and so you may have found a bug. If you report it, it may get fixed.

If you enable web history (or look to see if it's been disabled), the cards might start working again.

For more information, try visiting this link.

And this is the place to find your history:

http://www.google.com/history/

Good luck! Hope this was of help. :-)

• Gordon Scott

Thanks Kannon
      some good and well researched advice.
      My web history goes back quite a few years..scary.. so thx for the shot at it.
      I'm starting to think something is happening at Google out of my control.
      I did send a brief feedback note from my Gnex last week to Google Now about it. I'll just be patient on that side.

I altered my work location as a test.. I put in the location of a large transit hub that I use/transfer at regularly, hoping to fool it into thinking I commute there on a regular basis.

Thx again

• Kannon Y

No problem! And thank you for being specific in your description of the issue.

Unfortunately, it does appear to be a bug. Google usually fixes those kinds of problems inside of a month, but in case you need something for tracking transit schedules in the meantime, try the Offi app. I've heard good things about it, although can't verify its quality.

• Gordon Scott

Offi looks really good, but I'm in Vancouver Canada..
          I found something in the meantime.
          I reported my issue to googles code website
          I also changed my work location to home, (work at home), curious how GN interprets this in the next few days :)

• will

I've been having the same issue over the last few days as well. I had been relying on Google now for my bus departure info, but no bus cards have been showing up regularly. They seem to show up sporadically, but not reliably. No settings have been changed since the service was last working.

All location settings as well as search history are enabled.

It seems to be a bug, as other location based cards have been showing. The navigate to home and work card shows, and nearby places shows.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

• will

Hey Gordon,
          Did you find any more information on this issue? Or have any success with fixing your public transit cards? Over the last few days I have had absolutely no luck with them. I had been relying on them since they worked so well in my area (Boston), but I haven't been able to get them to show up at all recently. All my location settings and web history settings are golden. I have no clue what the issue is.

Thanks,
          Will

3. Nicky

Hi,

I'm also having the same problem. I grew to rely on them because they were more accurate than the posted transit schedules here in Toronto. It can be very frustrating.

• Gordon Scott

Hi
      Hey what is your timeline for it to stop working? Mine stopped about 5-6 days ago. Did you have home and work locations set in Google maps? Did you change any behavior that might affect the cards? Any more info you can supply would help.
      Thx

4. euzhan marsa

maybe you must go to galery, and ask to the customer service to change your card,,it can

• Gordon Scott

this reply adds little or no value..or makes any sense.