Google Talk vs. Hangouts on Android – Which one do you prefer?

Rajaa Chowdhury May 18, 2013

Google has just replaced Google Talk with Hangouts on the Android platform, with Hangouts having just 3.6 user rating at Play Store and users commenting it is a work in progress.

Which one you personally prefer and feel more comfortable with?

1. TulsaDavid

If you are on Android 4.3 (Jellybean) and your phone is rooted, you can flash an older gtalk-signed.zip file that is located here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=44158878#post44158878

If this makes no sense to you, you'll have to learn about rooting and flashing. If it makes good sense, first, uninstall Hangout, flash gtalk, then use Titanum Backup to disconnect GTalk from the Play Market, so you don't get annoying notifications to replace it with Hangout.

2. David

Hangouts should've been a separate app. Just updated my tablet to JB4.3 and talk got replaced without my permission! Hangouts is crap. I don't want my phone contacts, email, and chat options combined. Did I ask for a Facebook alternative? NO! I've been pushing android products to anyone who will listen for years thanks to their ease if use, I've just been proved wrong.

• Pelle

Hear, hear!

3. Tracey

I do not like Hangouts! I really liked and used Google Talk all the time. I'm very disappointed in Hangounts. One thing I used all the time in Google Talk that is not in Hangouts is the status. Each of us used that to let people know if we were in or out of the office or on vacation or at a conference, etc. because it let us create custom messages. This is now gone. I'm going to uninstall Hangouts. It's useless to me.

4. CHRIS BORN

Google Hangouts Blows! Check your Gmail Sent box.. There's a record of every conversation you make on Google Hangouts.. And I use an ASUS Android tablet and there is no way to uninstall it. Another example of why the ISPs and government are working hand-in-glove to track you every minute of the day..

5. Barry Hardman

I think Hangouts is just to ape Facebook kind of a feel like connections, friends & groups. Thank God better sense prevailed & I did not jump in the Google well knowingly. Nowadays Internet companies want to know the Bible / Ramayana of your social life & rob your privacy. Buddies, stick on to Google Talk if you value your privacy.

6. Noname

I reverted back. Go to Settings->Apps, find Hangouts and tell it to uninstall updates. I don't want all my contacts combined in one app. They're separate for a reason...

7. Debbie

I HATE hangouts! I want. Talk BC back. Is there a way to revert back to it? I hate the interface. I can't tell if my friends are online. I want my buddy list back.

Settings -> Application Manager -> find Hangouts and then uninstall updates. Should revert you back. :) Cheers!!!

Difference Between Google+ Hangout and Google Talk
    http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-google-hangout-and-vs-google-talk/

Hanging Out With Google Hangouts - Google's New, Beautiful Messaging App That Doesn't Really Unify Anything
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05/15/hands-on-with-google-hangouts-googles-new-beautiful-messaging-app-that-doesnt-really-unify-anything/

9. Harshit J

Just use Hangouts. You can think of it as a new version of Google Talk. There is no reason to stick with older software. Just use the new one and you will stay secure as security vulnerabilities for older softwares are not patched.

• Evil

GTalk worked over xmpp protocol and supported conversations with jabber users, joining conference rooms on jabber servers etc. And this new xxx does nothing of it all! It's just random xxx out of huge google xxx!

10. Ranjan Chaudhary

I could see who is online on gtalk but do not understand it in hangouts. If person was online I could call him and if offline, it showed a message in red that person is offline and message will be delivered when he is online. It was very clear. Maybe I am missing something.

I liked talk though i didn't use it much. hangout looks cool and since basically they are both the same and hangout just got released, its really hard to make a choice. need to learn to use hangout anyway.