Why did everything from Google become so slow?

Molly September 5, 2011

Anything from Google, such like Map, Earth, Chrome, GMail etc. has been running too too slow for a long time! What’s happened?

What did you do GOOGLE? Take the new slow off, roll them back, can you? I miss my more faster Google!

1. datajunkie

I decided to start using chrome in linux which has always been Massively slower than firefox. Now google is trying to make me use Chrome only if I want to watch .flv videos. My chrome install on this new partition happened yesterday. It was running fine. Now after cleaning my cache and history it is taking about 2 to 5 mins to resolve my dns. I am already not happy with googles hijack of the internet with this .flv deal with adobe... and firefox besides not being able to run youtube videos is lighting fast... Google has done something or they just suck! Oh wait isn't it already known that those idiots suck... I will just not watch videos... I am sticking with firefox....

2. sally

why google become so slow?i cannot open my games like cityville anymore

Do you have a lot of tabs open? Did you try to restart Chrome or reboot your computer?

3. Charles D

I had Google working very slow and have found that it was caused by Skype.
    By chance, I went to the top right corner of the Google window to a small icon called options or something like that, next to the icon showing a spanner ie Customise and control Google Chrome. Here it gave me a choice of uninstall Skype, so i did and now Google is back to normal. The "Option" has gone and Skype still operates as usual.

4. Charles

Google is slow. I was on Internet Explorer and changed to Google Chrome because I could not print with my Explorer. Now Chrome is slow and stops. What is going on with Google?

5. John

Google is extremely slow on updating website information for Google Search. They are much slower than any of the others. This makes me wonder why Google is the most used search engine.

6. shibu

I also fee the same problem it takes long time to load pages. Is any updation did by google?

7. Broberts Roberts

I am having issues with Chrome also... I deleted and reloaded and still is running very slow

8. The_willises

Google is now too slow because since March/April 2012 all access information has to be submitted to the security authorities for vetting.

8 Cool Tips & Tricks to Make Most Of Google Chrome

1) Clear all time cache/cookies. (Wrench menu > Options > Under the hood > Clear browsing data)
    2)  installed extensions, try disabling them one at a time.
    3) Make sure Chrome is allowed in anti-virus and firewall software.
    4) Connect directly to the internet w/ no proxies.(Wrench menu > Options > Under the hood > Change proxy settings > LAN settings > uncheck "Use a proxy server...")

DNS Pre-Fetching Feature

Hi Molly,

The Google severs may be overloaded in your area (not likely for an extended period of time). 

1.) Clear your browser cache
    In Google chrome go to Tools (the wrench) -> History -> Edit Items (link) -> Clear all browsing data and select "Obliterate the following items from: The begging of time", check all the boxes except "Clear saved passwords" and "Clear saved Autofill form data".

2.) Clear junk files
    Download & install CCleaner and follow Periforms guide on using it. Generally, the default settings should be fine, clear select "analyze" and "Run cleaner".

3.) Defragment
    Download & install Auslogics Defragger to defragment your hard drive. Windows has a built in tool for defragmenting but most prefer to use a third party tool.

4.) Clear network cache (as Tina stated)
    Unplug your modem and router from the power outlet for about a minute. Once a minute has gone by, plug them both back in and wait for the lights to blink normally again.

This could be anything from someone leaching on your internet connection to overheating internal hardware. The details you provided are really vague. To help diagnose your internet connection, please go to start -> run/search and type "cmd.exe" without quotes. Once the command prompt opens up type "ping google.com", post the results of this. Then go to SpeedTest.net and take the test, post the results (an image) here.

Useful links:
    12 Tips to Speed Up Windows 7
    Speed Up Windows 7 – Ultimate Guide To Make Windows 7 Blazing Fast!
    Tips on How to Speed Up Internet Connection
    How to Maximize the Speed of Your Internet Connection

for me Google has not become slow, so I cannot reproduce your issue.

Does this only happen in Google Chrome or also other browsers?

Did you reboot your computer recently? If not please do so.

How do you connect to the internet? If you have a router, try to take it off A/C power for 60 seconds and then reattach it. This will clear your router cache.