Why is Google showing an old image for my website?

Stewart August 7, 2010

My website was redesigned two years ago and re-launched and hosted by a professional company. I use Mozilla’s Firefox as my browser, which shows a thumbnail image of sites when searching.

When I search for ‘voice coach’ our site comes up at about fourth position on Google UK, BUT the image is the one that showed up BEFORE the redesign. Why does it not show the new one?

I have tried on other user’s PCs and Macs, so it is not a cache problem. Site is www.loudandclearuk.com

1. Andre

I have the Firefox search preview add on installed also. Before they did the latest update to this add on, you use to just right click on the preview image in firefox and select update. This feature has been taken away, so I'm not sure how you update the the image. If anyone knows that would be great.

Andre,

the question you responded to is quite old. If you're looking for an answer, you should submit your own question.

• Andre

Sorry. No I work it out myself!

• Info

Did you find how to request serchpreview images now? Because I still can't...

I think this issue has to do with the Addon you are using, and nothing to do with Google. Depending on how to addon work, the server where the image is pulled from might not have been updated or it has been cached, thus why seeing the old thumbnail.

Since it's an addon, it won't affect the users that visit your site with out it installed, so I wouldn't really worry about it. If you click on Google Cache and it's your old sites version, then Google hasn't visited your site for a while which is bad for rankings and SEO.

Stewart,

I'm curious about the thumbnail images you see when searching on Google. I use Firefox, but I don't know what you mean.

I'm guessing that you are using this Firefox extension:
    http://searchpreview.de/

However, you say you also tested this on other computers, so all of them would have to have this extension installed.

Anyways, the thumbnails are provided by the SearchPreview servers. You would have to get in touch with the creators of the extension to have the image of your website updated.

I second Tina, I have Firefox as well but don't see any thumbnails in the search results.