How can I make Google searches in English per default from a foreign country?

ska October 13, 2010

I live in Spain and am mostly English-speaking. I do speak Spanish but I’m used to computers in English and especially prefer the internet that way.

When I go to Google.com I get the highly irritating redirect to Google.es, as with many other websites, but Google is the one I go more often to, of course.

Since I prefer to get search results from English-language pages, after the search I go to “search options” at the upper right corner and change it to English. However on the next search I’ll have to repeat the procedure.

So my question is:
Is there any way that I can permanently set the search for a language, in my case English?

P.S. I did somehow come across the fact that adding the letters: “&hl=en” to a Google search repeats the search with language settings in English. However, that is post-search as well.

1. Linc

!! Working method from a Google forum !!(http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=581638f51350589b&hl=en)

1. Right Click the Address Bar and select "Edit Search Engine"2. Highlight the Google (default) and click Edit.3. Highlight the URL and copy it (ctrl + c). Then click Cancel.4. Click Add, enter Name like "Google English" and put anything in Keyword, it won't matter.5. Paste in the URL the one you copied and change  {google:baseURL} to http://www.google.com/ 6. Click OK and Make Default. Any keywork now you enter in the address bar will now have the english version.

2. Sauteedfoodrandy

all you have to do is bookmark a cached version of google's english search. just search in google for "english google" then the 2nd or 3rd result is the english google. then just bookmark the cached version and then just go to that when you search. thats what I do.

3. EVA

ska

I found your question in a trial to solve similar problem, using Google but in Greece.
    Found the solution with the help of TM from Thailand and the /ncr trick.
    Like this though.
    I use opera browser.
    I went on the search engine box ,Google my default, removed it , open a new Google tab with the /ncr trick ,went to the search box of this google page (the main box,in the center ) and right click on it."create a search" appears.Click this and an opera dialog opens that allows to add of a new search engine (in this case google).Then i manage my search engines again (clicking on an arrow by the search box) and make Google my default.
    Now every search is being from google.com not google.gr.
    It remains that by using the address bar goggle.gr impose but who cares we all use the search boxes.

salutations
    Eva

4. Edumed

I Have exactly the same problem; I use always advanced search:
    http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
    .
    Arabic =ar_me, Argentina =es_ar, Australia =au, Belgie hol=nl_be , Belgique fra=fr_be , Brasil =pt-BR_br, Canada ing =ca, Canada fra=fr_ca, Chile =es_cl, China =cn, Colombia =es_co, Cuba =es_cu, Deutschland =de, Espana =es, Est. Unidos esp=es_us , France =fr, Hong Kong =hk, India hin=hi_in, India ing=in, Ireland =en_ie, Israel =iw_il, Italia =it, Japan =jp, Korea =kr, Mexico =es_mx, Nederland =nl_nl, New Zealand =nz, Norge =no_no, Osterreich =de_at, Peru =es_pe, Portugal =pt-PT_pt, Russia =ru_ru, Schweiz ale=de_ch, Suisse fra=fr_ch, South Africa =en_za, Sverige =sv_se, Taiwan =tw, U.K. =uk, U.S. =us, Venezuela =es_ve.

5. andy veiga

If your browser allows you to set various sites as search engines you may use a link from google english to set it up as default serach engine.

For Opera browser it looks like this :"http://www.google.com/search?hl=all&q=%s&btnG=Search" Opera will replace "%s" with the search term. It is probably different with other browsers.

6. el tio ska

Thanks TM!

The ncr (apparently "no country redirect") lands me at the main google website, with search results in English. That's exactly what I needed :o)

Cheers everybody

7. el tio ska

So, I do have a Google account, and I'm usually signed in when I'm searching. Countless times have I clicked on "Settings >> Search Settings" and set it to English. Upon restarting Firefox, I find that my searches reverted back to Spanish (the local standard language, since I'm in Spain).

A couple o' questions:

1) I run CCleaner everytime I am about to switch off my computer. Maybe this removes the settings I'd previously set? If so, any idea which "cleanup" can I refrain from doing) :o)

2) Aibek, how does disabling Google's personalisation of search results in ff affect me? I'd think I'd be better of leaving it on, as otherwise MY settings will be wiped out and my browser would reset to the default (which is Spanish here). Or am I reasoning it wrongly?

cheers for your replies dudes :o) makeuseof rocks!

• Josh Fox

Yes, CCleaner will do this as well. In the Applications tab, under Firefox, make sure site preferences and cookies are unmarked. If you want to clean the cookies, but leave Google's, you can tell it to ignore cookies from them in the options and leave it marked for the scan.

• el tio ska

Had always overlooked the "settings" tab of CCleaner! How dumb of me LOL. Well, I think I've got it solved by going to google.com/ncr but your solution might come in useful for other sites :o) Cheers

8. TM

Try google.com/ncr It works for me in Thailand.

9. Josh Fox

Do you have an account registered with Google? If you do, you can save the settings to your account and won't have to change them every time, as long as you are logged in.

Agree with Josh. If you're going to use Google while logged in to your account you might want to consider disabling the personalization of search results as well.

How To Disable Google’s Personalization Of Search Results
      http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/disable-googles-personalization-search-results/

• kawa noori

hi friends i have the same problem that i can not change my goggle in to english