Why is Google Redirecting me to Shopping Sites?

Terry February 11, 2010

I use Google. I do an enquiry – lets say “golf breaks” and get the normal list of sites etc. Single or double click on one of them I don’t get to the required site, instead it goes to a site such as Keloo or another shopping site with a list of golf breaks.
In Google, if I right click on properties of my original required site and copy and paste the url it goes to the correct site.

I have tried Google Chrome, Firefox and Bing. Same result. I have tried reloading IE7, same result. Very frustrating.

1. pceasies

You have a virus installed that remaps search engines using your computers hosts file. I would download and install:
    - Malware Bytes Anti-Malware (MBAM)
    - SUPER Anti-Spyware (SAS)
    - Avira Antivirus
    - Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)

All are free, run each one until they find no infections. Make sure you update them. Uninstall either Avira of MSE when you are done and make sure SAS and MBAM aren't set to open when you login.

I can only reiterate the above but from personal experience. Chances are, whoever created that piece of Malware has an affiliate code and is hoping you'll buy something thus making him some money.

Do you have a security program such as Norton installed?

IF not, I suggest you buy one. If, after running a scan, the problem still isn't detected and removed, bring your PC to your local PC shop. They should be able to give it a full system scan using industry tools to fix the problem.

Rest assured, it's not Google itself that is redirecting you.

-- Dean

I second Dean in that it's not Google redirecting you.

Oh and you don't have to buy Norton to fix it, tools like MalwareBytes
      and Avira Antivir should be able to detect pretty much any malware. Oh
      and make sure to update your Windows as well.

It's also likely that your browser is being hijacked by some malware on your system. I would strongly recommend you to scan your system with an up to date antivirus program and spyware scanner.

You can try some of the security programs that were recommended in the following question: How many security programs do I need?

Terry,

you say this happens with Google and Bing in at least three different browsers.
    I assume it only happens with search engines and not with links from other sites, e.g. MakeUseOf.

Since the redirection occurs with at least two different search engines in three different browsers, it sounds like you have an issue unrelated to your browser, but related to search engines in general. I would guess that your computer is infected with malicious software.

And this is what I found: http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/10/fake-sysaudiosys-causes-searchengine.html

Please let us know whether it solves your issue.