How come Google knows my geographical location?

Mitesh Budhabhatti April 12, 2011

How does Google know my location? It shows in left side of the search results?

Hello, you could turn that option off if you so choose. If you are interested, just do the following:

-- click on change location
    -- on page that shows, delete the location showing
    -- save your preferences

You will still see, local search results because of your IP address.

Mitesh,

Google can tell your geographical location because you make a connection to its servers using your IP address. IP addresses are typically local. If you would use a VPN service from another geographical location, you would have a different IP address, and Google would think you were from a different location.

• Mitesh Budhabhatti

Thanks !!

• Carla

That's not true Tina...I was on a different IP address ( @ UNI) and at home I did a similar search and it came up a search list with two links in purple as if I have searched that before...well I haven't; I did that search first at uni early afternoon and came home input a similar string and the results list came up with two strings in purple. I found strange because I only looked for the topic at uni, using firefox. Arrived home I used Chrome and checked the links and were the same 2 pages I looked at before I left!

I thought the same as you and it should be like that...but this event is driving me nuts! How did google search engine recognised my two previous visits in a different computer and location?

Many Thanks

Carla

That's indeed very strange. Two different computers, two different IP addresses, and two different browsers. Were you logged into Google Mail or another Google service by any chance? That's the only other explanation I have, otherwise it sounds impossible!

• Tomasz

You were probably signned in on your Google account (using gmail?) and you have remmeber history option turned on.