Between Google and Firefox, which one is the most secure?

John December 16, 2011

There was a recent study that said Google Chrome is the safest browser of them all. I almost fell for this until I found out that it was a Google funded study.

So I want to put my question forth to others – what browser is actually more secure (going from Firefox and Google). I also want to make it clear that I understand browsers is the first level of protection and I do have many other layers.

My vote is with Chrome, personally. As far as I understand, this is because it sandboxes each website in it's own thread. I'm sure someone will tell me Firefox now does this too though. 

Honestly, as long as youre not using ANY VERSION OF INTERNET EXPLORER, you should be fine!

well depends on years sometime google is better and sometime firefox.
    If you use a lot of tabs and need lots of extensions then Firefox use.

concerning security
    Chrome is the most secured browser - new study
    Firefox finishes last in 3 browser security race
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/09/chrome_ie_firefox_security_bakeoff/

Also this security war is a never ending study, then also depends on how you are using the browser, hackers will always find a way to brake the browsers since a browser dont function alone such as we need adobe flash player, shockwave, microsoft silverlight...one way or another they can detect vulnerabilities in extensions and use that for reasons you know.

Comodo Dragon Internet Browser
    http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php

Hello, I can say that through the years I have used a few of the known browsers.  I have used maxthon, avant, firefox, opera, IE, safary, etc.  I have set so many default browsers and uninstall firefox so many times......but you know what, I always come back to it.  I have been running firefox for the past couple of years and also Chrome for the past year or so.   

I am sure the reason I always end up using firefox is because it has not let me down security wise.  I am sure one of the reasons for using it is because of the extensions/add ons that can be added to make it more secure. 

I know that Chrome has been getting a lot of the most useful addons/extension used in Firefox, but it is still not the same.  I would say the trick with both browsers is to be picky about the addons/extensions you use.  It is not a matter of installing all the extensions to make it secure, it is a matter of installing the good ones.  Personally, I only use 3 extensions in Firefox all the time. 

I tried doing this with Chrome, but because most times some of the options are a little bit different with extensions ported to Chrome, sometimes I have to install two extensions to cover what one extension does in firerox.

Of one thing I am sure though, Chrome is getting better all the time.  At the end, the user has to make the decisition about which one is best.  You are the only one that knows what you use your browser for, and what you need to make that browser more secure.  A simple advise I give to anybody that asks is to make sure to visit the following link and run a scan:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

If your security is up to date and also if your addons/extensions are not vulnerable, your browser should be secure enough for most tasks.

John,

Just because Google funded said study, doesn't quite mean that the results are fabricated. Let me give you a list of things that a secure web browser should provide.

Firstly, let's establish a basis for "what is secure?". A secure browser for me, means that the likelihood of an attacker discovering a vulnerability in my browser is low. According to a Cenzic study, Firefox has the most vulnerabilities found per year, Internet Explorer was second, Safari third and Opera was last. Google Chrome was not tested in this study, however I'm quite certain that Chrome has just as many, if not more, vulnerabilities than Firefox.

With that being said, the most secure mainstream web browser may be Opera (as fate would have it, it's allow one of the least popular). Some of these results may be explained away by saying, "Well Firefox is open source so of course there will be more vulnerabilities discovered", which is true. Studies such as this are rare and usually don't take all variables into consideration.

Modern web browsers offer a lot of options in order to lock down your web browser. Firefox is a personal favourite to me as it offers a vast amount of security addons. So, let's look at what we can do to secure our browser when we can't fix the source code ourselves. You mentioned that you understand browser security, so I'll spare you the nerdy details.

• Allows disabling / limitations on JavaScript
    • Allows you to force explicit permission to run Java and Silverlight
    • Allows you to disable ActiveX
    • Browser should automatically update itself and plugins

- Jeff