How can I use Google DNS for my website?

rishi August 22, 2011

How to change my other DNS server to Google DNS for my website?

If you actually host the server you can change your DNS settings at /etc/resolv.conf (Linux). You can add Google DNS there (Primary: 8.8.8.8, Secondary: 8.8.4.4). I use OpenDNS for my website however it's rather low traffic. I imagine on a high traffic website, Google (or any other competent free DNS service) would disallow connections from your server if the requests got too high. 

If your using a shared host, you most likely won't be able to change your DNS settings. You can typically only changed the DNS server of a dedicated, virtual and self-hosted servers. Your host will usually have their own DNS server which you are forced to use.

I'm nearly 100% sure that this not what Google DNS does. You don't change your website - Google DNS is simply an alternative DNS provider for home users. It still syncs to the same higher level DNS servers everyone else does.

However, if you *are* looking to speed up DNS requests to your website, I recommend the free cloudflare service (www.cloudflare.com), though you'll need to adjust your domain nameservers to point at cloudflare when requested...