Why is Google Chrome so slow?
Question by bob.dunford /

Why does my Google Chrome work slow? I keep getting a ‘window kill’ page or ‘wait’. This is happening all the time now. Even using your pages I have to wait. Why? Is there a speed up software I could use? Ihave even updated my Google Chrome, but still it’s slow.

• Jacques Op de Laak

Why regularly this nasty window Wait or Kill Pages which delays opening pages enormously?

perhaps because some script that cant be read because the browser somehow is corrupted. Updating the browser cleaning windows running a malware scan can help.

• Oron

As ha14 says, this is usually caused by a script on a page, but sometimes by a corrupt file in the cache. Try deleting the cached:
      1. Click on the wrench icon and choose “Settings”
      2. Click on “History” on the left, and then on [Clear all browsing data…]
      3. Change the “Obliterate…” line to “the beginning of time”
      4. Make sure the following items are ticked:
      + Empty the cache
      + Delete cookies and other site and plug-in data
      5. Click [Clear browsing data]
      Restart Chrome and see if this made any difference.

• Nunya

It looks like you’ve got Ad-block enabled. While we respect your decision and choice of plugin, we humbly ask that you add MakeUseOf.com to the ad-block whitelist. Without the revenue generated from advertising, we would be unable to provide this great content free of charge.

Yep, I hate ads, especially intrusive ones that install spyware and other junk. I have added you to the whitelist however to see what you do here with them since your request was so nice. Not too bad and thanks for the help, although I have decided to stay with FF and ditch GoogleChrome, the info was interesting to read.

• L haney

I have Google Chrome and I can’t get to any of my favorites… I keep getting snap and when I try to go for answers, I get a flash of white light! Why is this happening?

• Dee

My google is also very slow and my husbands so we have moved back to firefox now, the thing goes round for ages before any pages or states same as others say on this page.

• Gill

It’s just not up to the job. Some people say it depends on pc and windows type but everyone I know regardless of their system is moaning about how slow it has become this year

• DBM

Also, I had no tool bars on. But after updating my video card, it seemed to work a little faster. Thanks.

• Luis

My browser chrome is slow for executing and accessing Web pages. I waited and tested the latest versions and the problem persists. I just about that browser, Safari and Firefox everything works fine. I have tried almost all the tips I’ve found on the Internet without success. Do not understand how google has not found this problem that forces us to change even though it seems Chrome browser was the best so far. This happens to me with MAC OS 10.7.4 and 10.7.4

• DBM

Same with me! Mine is so slow, but it’s still good. I like the fancy GUI’s and the spell check. I am not giving up Google chrome, and I do think there is a way to fix it. Try checking your connection. I’m not much of a pro with computers but I know it has to do something with your video card. Either that, or I’m really really off Lol. All the fancy GUI is making it slow probably. That’s my guess.

• anonynony

MINE WAS HECKA SLOW FOR NO REASON! well, there must’ve been a reason.. but i followed MIKE’s advice and closed the biggest extension, and lo n behold…. my youtube videos started working better!! no break in video, better quality (the way it shld’ve been to start with) and browser got faster =)

• Kayla B Martinezz

Mines Was because of the toolbars i had on google chrome

• Jason Hilton

I was using a custom theme DL’d from the available Chrome themes. Resetting it back the default seemed to work… only time will tell though.

• Bettydyson

I went into run “msconfig” and unchecked “google update”, now I have a more rapid start up of browser.

• DesertGirl

Bless you, Bettydyson! I unchecked “GoogleUpdate” in my startup folder and THAT FIXED IT! I now have my fast Chrome browser back. ThankYouThankYouThankYou!!!!!