Why is Google Chrome so slow?

bob.dunford August 30, 2011

Why does my Google Chrome work slow? I keep getting a ‘window kill’ page or ‘wait’. This is happening all the time now. Even using your pages I have to wait. Why? Is there a speed up software I could use? Ihave even updated my Google Chrome, but still it’s slow.

1. Jacques Op de Laak

Why regularly this nasty window Wait or Kill Pages which delays opening pages enormously?

perhaps because some script that cant be read because the browser somehow is corrupted. Updating the browser cleaning windows running a malware scan can help.

• Oron

As ha14 says, this is usually caused by a script on a page, but sometimes by a corrupt file in the cache. Try deleting the cached:
      1. Click on the wrench icon and choose "Settings"
      2. Click on "History" on the left, and then on [Clear all browsing data...]
      3. Change the "Obliterate..." line to "the beginning of time"
      4. Make sure the following items are ticked:
      + Empty the cache
      + Delete cookies and other site and plug-in data
      5. Click [Clear browsing data]
      Restart Chrome and see if this made any difference.

• Nunya

It looks like you've got Ad-block enabled. While we respect your decision and choice of plugin, we humbly ask that you add MakeUseOf.com to the ad-block whitelist. Without the revenue generated from advertising, we would be unable to provide this great content free of charge.

Yep, I hate ads, especially intrusive ones that install spyware and other junk. I have added you to the whitelist however to see what you do here with them since your request was so nice. Not too bad and thanks for the help, although I have decided to stay with FF and ditch GoogleChrome, the info was interesting to read.

2. L haney

I have Google Chrome and I can't get to any of my favorites... I keep getting snap and when I try to go for answers, I get a flash of white light! Why is this happening?

3. Dee

My google is also very slow and my husbands so we have moved back to firefox now, the thing goes round for ages before any pages or states same as others say on this page.

4. Gill

It's just not up to the job. Some people say it depends on pc and windows type but everyone I know regardless of their system is moaning about how slow it has become this year

5. DBM

Also, I had no tool bars on. But after updating my video card, it seemed to work a little faster. Thanks.

• Luis

My browser chrome is slow for executing and accessing Web pages. I waited and tested the latest versions and the problem persists. I just about that browser, Safari and Firefox everything works fine. I have tried almost all the tips I've found on the Internet without success. Do not understand how google has not found this problem that forces us to change even though it seems Chrome browser was the best so far. This happens to me with MAC OS 10.7.4 and 10.7.4

6. DBM

Same with me! Mine is so slow, but it's still good. I like the fancy GUI's and the spell check. I am not giving up Google chrome, and I do think there is a way to fix it. Try checking your connection. I'm not much of a pro with computers but I know it has to do something with your video card. Either that, or I'm really really off Lol. All the fancy GUI is making it slow probably. That's my guess.

7. anonynony

MINE WAS HECKA SLOW FOR NO REASON! well, there must've been a reason.. but i followed MIKE's advice and closed the biggest extension, and lo n behold.... my youtube videos started working better!! no break in video, better quality (the way it shld've been to start with) and browser got faster =)

8. Kayla B Martinezz

Mines Was because of the toolbars i had on google chrome

9. Jason Hilton

I was using a custom theme DL'd from the available Chrome themes. Resetting it back the default seemed to work... only time will tell though.

10. Bettydyson

I went into run "msconfig" and unchecked "google update", now I have a more rapid start up of browser.

• DesertGirl

Bless you, Bettydyson! I unchecked "GoogleUpdate" in my startup folder and THAT FIXED IT! I now have my fast Chrome browser back. ThankYouThankYouThankYou!!!!!

11. Elizabeth

I have the same problem and, ironically, Chrome seems to be particularly slow when it comes to Gmail.

12. Borut

I have the same problem ,sometimes works great and fast just like it should be.
    Im on FF at this moment ,because today is one of those days chrome become useless so slow that it takes about a 30s to open a page it is slow in general even mouse is slow when operating chrome.

13. Codingknight

Improve Google Chrome page loading speedhttp://www.codingknight.in/20/improve-google-chrome-page-loading-speed/

14. Tesseract69

I agree, it's terrible. I have plenty of system memory, Java is up to date, I have no add ons, and I only open three tabs at start up. Possibly a Trojan, but I am on Mac OS X 10.6 and have absolutely no problems with anything else. I've cleared all my browsing data and updated Chrome. No improvement. I'm tired of fighting with it. It's back to quick, fairly unproblematic Firefox for me.

15. Mark O'Neill

How many tabs do you have open?  I often find Chrome speeds up if I close a few unnecessary tabs.  Also, having too many add-ons is bad too.  Take a good hard look at your add-ons and uninstall any that you don't use.

Adding to Marks [and my own] post you can always take a look into the "Chrome Task Manager" by pressing SHIFT + ESC (if you are using the Windows version). You will see what memory and CPU usage each process (including plug-ins and extensions) currently have.

Another troubleshooting can be done using the page chrome://net-internals
      Click on the tab that says "Test", enter an URL and click "Start tests". This will give results on how Proxy and IPv6 may influence your browsing experience.

• Elizabeth

Is there a Mac equivalent of shift-escape?

I'm not sure they have added a short key yet. You can find it by clicking on the "wrench symbol > Tools > Task Manager".

What you can do is create your own short key by going into "System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts".

1. click on Application Shortcuts
          2. click on the plus "+" to create a new one
          3. select Google Chrome as application, type "Task Manager" into the Menu title, click in the shortcut field and press the desired keys
          4. close the System Preferences and restart Chrome

• peter

hi how comes i just renamed my folder and yet it still slow

Some plugins may be are in conflict

on the address bar type: chrome://plugins and see which ones conflict with the browser and disable/uninstall them

update java

or you are infected with a trojan? so run scan with malwarebyte antimalware, clamwin

uninstall chrome and reinstall a fresh copy

I can think about three problems:
    1. you have a faulty or intensive extension installed
    2. your Chrome user data is corrupted
    3. you have very limited system memory

Please try surfing the web using an Incognito Window (click on the wrench symbol and select New incognito window) ~ don't forget to close the "normal" Chrome window. If this is working fine open Chrome normally and try to deactivate your browser extensions one by one.

As for the User Data you will have to move, rename or delete the following folder and then start Chrome again.

As for the system memory I think it's the least option you have to look at. Unless you are running some intensive application(s) alongside Chrome this shouldn't be the problem at any time

• Broster

where on the mac can i find the folders you specify? can't seem to locate them...

It's in your users homefolder:
        ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default

IF you are running Mac OS X 10.7 you might not see the Library folder. In that case open up a Finder window and in the menu bar select "Go > Go to Folder..." (SHIFT + cmd + G)

• Bobrogan

The google browser executes java script code very much slower that all the other main Browsers, and that's the facts.

• DH

Mike, thanks.
      Chrome starts fast again. (Windows XP, SPS3)Renaming the USER DATA folder did it for me. note for anyone trying this solution:Restart Chrome  to allow it to create new folder. Close Chrome. Copy the bookmarks file from the renamed USER DATADEFAULT folder. Paste file into new folder.

• Gabrielle

I don't understand any of this.

When I type "chrome://plugins" in the address bar, about 12 or 13 items come up, but I have no idea what should be disabled.

I'm not technically minded, so reading most of these suggestions, for me, is like trying to decipher binary code (I've no idea what that even is).

As for 'renaming user data folder'...what? If I knew where that beast even was, what the heck does one 'rename' it to? Esmerelda? Fortesque Aloisius?

Another site suggested doing a "run > msconfig" and then deselecting Google Chrome Updates, which I did, because it was written in plain English for people like me (not so tech-savvy) so I could understand it. However, in the end, painting my nails would have been more effective. It did exactly zilch.

My pc has been checked, my internet connection has been checked, my anti-virus program (PrevX) has been checked, firewall checked, malware, etc checked.

Everything checks out, is up to date, and running as it should be (according to a computer 'expert')...

...yet, for the last two weeks, out of the blue, Google Chrome can't load a youtube video to save it's life, and trying to load any website at all, is an exercise in extreme patience (stop, reload, stop, reload, stop, reload...)

Google forums only seem to regurgitate the usual, lame, useless advice. I think I want to play Russian Roulette with a gun pointed at my head at this stage....frustration is mounting.

Do you see the timeline when you use a browser other than Google Chrome, for example Firefox or Internet Explorer?