Why is Google Chrome becoming slow?

Sidharth K October 16, 2011

My Google Chrome is getting too slow. What can I do?

1. Darcy

If you can find your background apps and turn them off, this has boosted my interenet speed hugely when nothing else seemed to work.

I had linkseys toolbar extension added, just switched off all unknown background applications (from the toolbar)

2. Frans Monnereau

When I use Google Chrome the loading is very slow, also unusual is a message on top of the page stating Flash needs your permission to run.

I do not have this problem when I use Firefox.

3. Anonymous Flyer

This, in my opinion, has nothing to do with plugins/add-ons etc. I am running an overclocked core i5 with ample memory. I have minimal plugins installed and no toolbars installed. The web pages which I visited do not bombard with ads and extras. Some times Chrome is fast, other times it hangs. Even refreshing the basic google home page from that same homepage couses and issue. Then all of a sudden it comes back to life. No problems with other browsers but I prefer chrome from a security point of view.

• Another Anon

I agree with Anonymous Flyer. I see this problem on Mac, Windows, and Linux. I'll try to load a page a few times, sometimes it will load eventually, sometimes it won't. Trying another browser, Safari, Firefox or IE always works. There is something not right.

4. Secret

This is how to fix it
    Follow these steps to change your proxy setting (for Windows):

Click the wrench icon on the browser toolbar.
    Select Settings.
    Click Show advanced settings.
    In the "Network" section, click Change proxy settings. This will open the Internet Properties dialog.
    Click LAN settings .
    Deselect the "Automatically detect settings" checkbox.

5. rony

when i clear the bookmarks in the google chrome it becomes very slow

6. Tanx

my google chrome was working perfectly by the start of may but now its getting slow and shows poor picture quality. the same picture i see on the internet is of poor quality even when its supposed to be of high quality but when i download the same picture on my pc its of great quality. what do i do? the youtube and other videos are also of bad quality please help me

Do you see this issue only in Google Chrome or also in other browsers. Maybe it's an issue with your internet connection. Could it be that it has become slow and thus images and videos are not fully loading?

• Tanx

sorry for the late reply but a couple of days ago from now i formated my pc and everything was OK with my pc after that but yesterday the problem started to appear again. I'm so sick of it. Do I have to format my pc again and again? I bet there were lots of viruse before but since I formated it all how come the problem persists? sometimes my pc stops reading any internet connection and then when i restart it for 2 to 3 times it starts working. I am currently downloading some files from torrent and when I turn my pc on they keep downloading but none of my web browsers work. what do I do?

Maybe downloading slows your computer down. Is it better when you disconnect from the internet?

More obviously, you may have re-installed and eliminated all malware recently. However, hearing that you download Torrents makes me think that you have been infected again or maybe you re-installed infected software you had stored on a separate partition or external drive while re-installing.

Of course, this could also be a hardware issue, such as a drive that is about to fail. I suggest that you post a new question with a better description of the whole issue. This is the wrong place.

Have you made any changes to your internet connection, either via your ISP or your computer/local network configuration?

Have you added or changed your security software or firewall configuration?

Have you cleared your browser cache recently? If you are at the cache limit, it will take time for your computer to first locate and delete the least frequently used items to make enough space for the new incoming material.

Are you using an "Internet Accelerator"? Most operate on a couple of levels to appear to speed up your internet connection. They connect to caching servers so frequently accessed content among many users can be served up from their cache instead of taking a longer trip around the 'net. Many will also reduce the image quality in the browser so it sends less data to you when rendering the page. This normally does not affect the quality of images that are specifically downloaded by the user via the "Save target as..." or "Save link as..." options from the context menu.

• Tanx

no, I didnt do anything as such but I formated my pc but the problem persists after working fine for 2 to 3 days

7. billie jean

where do i find out if i do have the latest version on my pc/laptop

You can find out whether you have the latest version of Chrome by clicking the Wrench icon in the top right, then select the "About Google Chrome" from the list and it will automatically check whether your version is up to date. If not, you can update right there. This very moment, the current version is 19.0...

8. Amir Hussain

Just uninstalling Google Chrome to the root.. And then, install it and restart..

9. Jose

Use Firefox I am running a mac with Chrome problems too
    This is the easiest solution
    If you don not want to leave Chrome then Oron is Correct
    I am an IT for a jewelry co.

10. Oron

There's no single answer to this. It depends on your computer. The problem may be just with Chrome, or with other browsers, so first of all, compare the performance by trying to access a number of sites with Chrome, then with Internet Explorer. If the problem is with web access in general, start a new question on this web site and we'll try to help.
    If the problem is definitely with Chrome, then read the advice in the messages below which is mostly good (I would leave the registry alone for now). In my experience cookies are a good place to start looking:

1. Go into the spanner menu, and choose Settings
    2. Click on "Under the hood" and [Clear Browsing Data]
    3. Change the "obliterate" option to "from the beginning of time"
    4. Tick "empty cache" and "delete cookies and other site and plug-in data"
    5. Click [Clear browsing data] and close the tab.

If this solves the problem, then there's probably a specific site that is causing the problem and you'll need to do some further work to narrow it down.

• aUSTIN

how do you empty the cache & delete cookies?--there is no option for this in google chrome

The Chrome menu has changed in the meantime.

Click the wrench icon, go to Settings and click Show advanced settings... at the bottom.

Click the Clear browsing data... button and select what you want to delete, e.g. cache and cookies and select the time frame, e.g. from the beginning of time.
        Confirm by clicking Clear browsing data.

• ph

:( it didn't help me!

• tom

just wanted to say thanks - some cookie or other had slowed chrome right down. thanks for the advice Oron baby

11. kral lemon

My Google chrome now lags a ton just to open a simple page, this wasn't like this at all, i reinstall it and it when well but now is even worst than before. why?

12. Mike bianco

Google from best to worst in record time
    My pages never load in less than 5 minutes
    I am bombarded with ads Google sucks In my opinion! Some money hungry jerks have ruined the best thing that ever was. thanks a lot

• Susendeep Dutta

I think that the pages are loading slow because of flash ads and other text based ads.You can use Adblock plus addon which will block any such ads,but kindly whitelist those sites which doesn't disturb you as these ads serves them their income.

13. kushagra

why google chrome is getting slow day by day ???

• Susendeep Dutta

You need to clear your browsing history,cookies and caches which can be done by Clicking on the wrench icon(situated at top right side)-->History-->Clear all browsing data and select at the beginning of time from the drop down menu and clear it.This might help boost your browsing speed.

14. Solly

Google Chrome is getting slower and slower. I have now, since November 2011 removed and re-installed Chrome three times. That is the only thing that has worked. It has even happened to my friends. That is why I am placing this message. SHAME ON YOU GOOGLE FOR NOT SOLVING THIS AND MAKING IT EASY TO FIND A LISTING AND SOLUTION ON YOUR HELP SITE.

15. Tanbirshahnur

Download and use Opera 

16. Albert

If your google chrome lag because graphic render ex. play game ,mass load of graphic  try to read this

17. Glenn Drewz

The following tips will help you to deal with slow running Chrome:

1-Clear cache. Whenever you end a browsing session make it your habit to clear cache so that all cookies are removed.

2-Clear history. Also clear history from time to time and do not allow URLs to accumulate in your Chrome history files.

3-Get rid of excessive toolbars. Often times there are some heavy plugins and toolbars running with your browser which can make any browser such as Chrome slow.

4-Clean Windows Registry. Fix and clean Windows registry, which is an information storing component of Windows, to fix Google Chrome slow speed.

• GoogleX

Doesn't work Genius

• Susendeep Dutta

Untick "Predict network actions to improve page load performance."

Also,check whether any security suite,other software is not hogging your bandwidth.

• ethan9

genius...same problem persist...any other way to solve the problem...and please dont tell to upgrade the system...cause its newly and fully upgraded...

• Susendeep Dutta

Untick "Use DNS pre-fetching to improve page load performance"

• Oron

Does the problem only apply to Chrome, or to other browsers as well? If it affects all your browsers, then it's a system wide issue, and you might want to try TCP optimiser or other ways of speeding up your network connection.
        If the problem applies only to Chrome, try removing it and doing a clean install, then test it before installing any add-ons.

Hello, one of the main reasons for your browser to get slow is if you have many extensions/add-in opening with it.  You might want to read the help pages for Google Chrome:

>check if you are running the latest version of Chrome .
    >check if all the plug ins are up to date .
    >clean up your history and cache with CCleaner.
    >scan your pc for any infections with your preferred AV Scanner supplemented with malware bytes and superantispyware .

• Mjevolve

guest = mjevolve

• Slutioncreative

Done it No change.