Is Google Chrome OS the single most power-hungry operating system on the face of the planet?

Frownydaclown December 19, 2010

I downloaded and installed Google’s Chrome OS on a flash drive. It booted fine, all of my hardware seems to be supported, logged in fine.

After about ten minutes of frustration, slow browsing of the interwebs, the fan in my laptop revved up to half speed. Ten later, it was revved up full speed. Two or three minutes after that, I actually shut it down for fear of melting it. Rarely does the fan crank above half speed, even when vm’ing operating systems or converting audio and video. Certainly not while mundanely browsing the web.

I dual boot Windows Vista and Ubuntu. Neither have ever had any similar problems. How can the operating system that is arguable the lightest in the world possibly be overheating my machine to this degree?

1. Slackpenguin

I've had issues with Chromium OS builds not supporting the fan system properly. On thinkpads it seems to recognize the fans fine. On a Sony laptop, it could increase the fan speed but then it never decreased it. I think I just need to rebuild but I have given up on all but Thinkpad and Asus stuff for now.

Ctrl-Alt-T brings up a command line that you can run "top" to see if anything is hogging CPU. I haven't seen anything thus far with the only programs using CPU being chrome, chrome-wm, and X.

2. Frownydaclown

I'm running CHROMIUM os. this is the version which google open-sourced last year. Chrome browser has a chromium counterpart as well. It is not quite the same os as is found on a cr-48. I compiled it myself. This is available for download, though you have to compile it.

As far as I'm aware, Google are planning not to offer Chrome OS as a download for home PCs to run "just for funsies" (or at least, not officially support it). They are planning on having it integrated into specific hardware, though the cR-48 notebook is not a final production model, merely a test of what could be built with Chrome on top.

4. Frownydaclown

I'm fairly certain it is chromium. I built it myself. The only reason it is slow is because of how i'm running it. (and it's an older version. Not sure if that matters, as it alledgedly updates itself apon startup)

5. Mark Seydel

Are you sure it was Google Chrome OS and not a Hexxeh build? This stuff is all Beta. I am using the Google ChromeOS cr-48 netbook and it's awesome!