Are Google Android devices domains?

John Stroup September 21, 2011

Browsing your site somehow suggested to me that Google Android devices are actually domains. A light load for them. What do you think of this, please?

I'm sorry, but could you rephrase this so we can answer? I'm really having trouble understanding the question here. 

• John Stroup

Right. Here we go:  It seems to me things like Twitter and Android telephones are 'handled' as if they were indeed domains or URLs - like a webpage/website of the user/owner.  Is this in fact so? If not/so, can you elaborate on your comment, too, please? Thank you, James.

Sorry for the late reply John, the notification found it's way into my junk box. 

First off, twitter and android phones are two totally different products, so I'll address individually. 

Twitter is a domain - a web service - so yes, they are a webpage of the user. 

Android or any kind of mobile phones wouldn;t appear at first glance to be a domain or website, but I think you might be referring to the fact that they are all interconnected using IP addresses, just the same as a website. 

Anythign connected to the internet has it's own IP address in fact, and a web URL or domain actually just points to an IP address of the server where it's hosted. Forget domains though, as they arent needed for the internet to function. You could in theory access most websites through an IP address only. So now we have internet sites, phones, servers, computers - all running on the internet with their own (IP) 'address'. A webpage is just a piece of software running on that IP address, which will display it's wares when asked. Your computer can host a webpage, and if you hacked your phone it could also act a mini-webserver too I believe. Some devices run their own little website by default - like your cable router, for instance, which probably runs a configuration webpage for you to change the settings. 

So I guess in a way, youre right, yes - those things you mentioned do act a webpage of the user . However, it would be more correct to define those as simply being interconnected devices with their own unique address on the internet, which may or may not provide webpage-like services.

I wonder if that cleared anything up? Or perhaps just left you more confused..sorry!