What’s a good website that can teach me how to become a radio jockey?

Muhammad Faisal Wahab Khan March 13, 2012

I’ve been visiting MakeUseOf to help me find many useful educational sites, like the best sites to learn graphic design, guitar, photography and etc. I was wondering if anyone could recommend sites that teach me how to become a radio jockey?

1. Guest

You might look into Podcasting, which is similar to being a DJ on a radio station. MUO has a podcast/Podcast called Technophilia, at technophiliapodcast.com. You can try listening to that just to see how the pros do it. :-)

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for MUO. I've just heard the Technophilia show and think it's pretty cool. Also, I like MUO's site content and have no reason not to trust the hosts of the program for great material. :-)

As a suggestion, maybe MUO can have a guide on Podcasting from the Technophilia hosts. That would be a great place for folks like M. to start.

Also, I don't know what country you're in, but in the U.S. we have something called an amateur (or "ham") radio operator, which is low-band radio that doesn't operate on commercial frequencies. There are courses you can take that will help you to obtain a ham radio operator's license and call letters. And one of the most popular technical schools in this country specifically geared towards teaching students how to get into on-air broacasting is Connecticut Broadcasting School. But that might not be an option for you depending on your location, and I don't know if ham radio is international. I live in the States so I can't speak for other countries. :-)

wikipedia.org/Amateur_radio
    wikipedia.org/Podcast

• HLJonnalagadda

Yeah I like the show too!

2. Tom

Speaking from a bit of experience (15 years on the radio in Chicago, and Nationally Syndicated), I can't imagine radio being something you could learn online.

It all comes-down to the mechanics (operating the physical equipment) and your delivery, and most stations' only real requirement (after hearing your demo) is that you have experience.

If you can't take some radio classes at your local community college for some "hands-on time," try looking to tiny, small market radio stations who are desperate for someone to "keep the seat warm," and try to work your way up.

Good luck!

• Faisal Wahab

thanks tom i appreciate your answer but i am more into having a personal online jockey system like shoutcast and that's the reason i asked this question. And please can you tell me that does shoutcast really take money if a person has more than hundred subscribers?

Here are two interesting answers received via our Twitter account:

Tazzer122: your note going to learn how from a website. try getting with your local college or a small daylight hours station.

IshaanSr: Youtube. ExpertVillage to be specific. They's got the most random how to videos, I'm sure there's one for you in there too!

4. Faisal Wahab

heyyyy where's the rest of my question??? Are you going to make it a separate one???

Faisal,

I'm afraid we can't submit a question for you. If a second part of your question was removed, then it was probably unrelated to the first. Please submit a new question. Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience!

• Faisal Wahab

atleast give a reply to this one :)

Faisal,

I'm sorry that you have not yet received a solution. I will try to share the Q via our Facebook and Twitter accounts to give it some extra exposure. Hopefully, someone who knows an answer will see it and respond. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee that this will happen. Good luck!