What is a good quiet touch screen laptop with a lot of RAM and hard drive space?

zander846 June 27, 2011

I’m starting school and need something with a lot of memory and RAM, but also touch screen for notes. Price isn’t too much of an issue, though those Panasonics seem a little extreme. Any suggestions?

1. Jessica Cam W.

I've actually been researching for the same thing, and two models seem to stand out: the Lenovo ThinkPad X201 Tablet (4GB of RAM, expandable to 8; 320GB hard drive space; Intel Core i7; ~$1600) or the newer X220 model and the HP TouchSmart tm2 (4GB of RAM, expandable to 8; 500GB hard drive space; Intel Core i3; ~$950).

I actually have an HP Pavilion TX 2500, the predecessor of the TouchSmart tm models, so it's a bit older (2009) but it works great. It came with Windows Journal, which is a step down from MS OneNote, but it works fine for taking notes for Math classes. Honestly though, for other classes (unless you're in Art or Architecture courses), you won't be using the touchscreen that often since typing is probably faster than handwriting notes. 

Also, it does seem to get really hot if you use it for a while, especially the surface where you rest your palms to type. Other than that, I would pretty much recommend this laptop so I imagine the newer TouchSmart works even better. Just my two cents on the HP model. The Thinkpad should also be excellent, according to reviews.