What’s a good personal media server that can be installed a Windows XP computer?

Mike Hagan May 7, 2012

I’m looking for a way to access my own personal media (moves & music) over the Internet and possibly access via my Android phone.

I have a desktop computer that runs Windows XP and it holds all of my media. It’s about 5-6 years old and I only use it at home to play my music and surf the web. I also have a laptop running Windows 7 that I use for gaming, web surfing, movies, etc. It’s a laptop so I bring it with me when I travel.

I’d like to be able to access my own media on my desktop over the Internet so I don’t have to use valuable disc space storing everything on my laptop. Also, it would be convenient to access my media on my Android phone.

What is a cheap or preferably free option I can use to achieve this?

1. Brenda Somich

Check out http://www.real.com/resources/free-video-player-for-pc. I've been very happy with it. It's a free media player download and I've also found it quite easy to to transfer all sorts of media to my mobile devices. Sounds exactly what you might be looking for.

2. Lionspaw

I'm thinking of purchasing graphics software.

If so, it will be for a single license user.

But all my work is done by contractors.

My question is, is there some server type

solution I can use to comply with my license

and at the same time the software works

on that server and I can have the software

available for my contractor?

Thanks,

3. DalSan Mack

Check out TVersity.com as you can set it up for wifi connected and internet connected device to access media to stream from your pc. The pro version needs to be purchased if you want to use any iOS device, and not quite sure if you have to purchase the pro version for internet setup, but I do use it in my network to stream videos to my DirecTV recievers, game systems, and android devices.

4. zeeshan khan

Opera Unite is not created anymore!

You can use subsonic or here are some alternative for subsonic:
    http://alternativeto.net/software/subsonic/

You can use Opera Unite for this type of functionality. Or you can look at something along the lines of Subsonic (www.subsonic.org). Donating to the project (any amount from approx 10 euros - 20 is recommended) will also unlock premium features such as video streaming, mobile apps (including Android), and a subdomain under subsonic.org so you don't have to remember your external IP address. Setup looks relatively trivial and the server has its own security built into the product. The server also supports on-the-fly transcoding (relatively powerful server recommended for this). If you are primarily streaming MP3 files, no transcoding is necessary.

The only potential problem you may have (especially for video streaming) would be your upload speed from the server to the net.