What is a good operating system for an Atom PC?

Him October 13, 2011

I’ve a PC built around the Intel Atom D425KT. I intend to use it as a basic home PC for tasks such as email, chatting, word docs, excel sheets, presentations, music and movies. What is the best operating system for this kind of PC? I’ve tried Ubuntu, Mint, and Windows XP. I’m planning to try out Joli OS and MeeGo, but I’m not a cloud kind of guy. Any recommendations?

2. M.S. Smith

I don't think there is any easy answer to this question. Ubuntu is about as good as you're going to get with Linux distros, but it still might lack driver support compared to Windows, and you'll also have a much smaller software selection. The upside is a somewhat snappier experience, since Ubuntu is light on system resources.

Windows XP is fairly quick, but showing its age. Whenever I use XP, I miss user interface elements from Windows 7 like the new taskbar and Aero snap. 

Windows 7 is a good choice as long as you're not limited on RAM. The Atom processor can run Windows 7 just fine, but if you only have a gigabyte of memory, you'll have a poor experience. Windows 7, being the most modern Microsoft operating system, has all the latest goodies. 

If I was in your position and was limited by memory, I'd make do with Ubuntu. If I was not limited by memory, I would use Windows 7.

3. M.S. Smith