Do you know a good open source bandwidth monitor for a Windows home network?

Terry February 1, 2010

Hi,

I have a small home network with a few internet appliances, 4 PC’s and 2 servers. I want to be able to monitor the bandwidth at the router to get an idea of how much is being sent through it in either direction.

Does anyone know of a free/open source tool (Windows based) that will do this? From what I have seen there are only tools that you need to install on each PC that you then have to “sum up”, but this still won’t give me a true reflection because I can’t add this software to the internet appliances.

Terry.

1. Geniuswhoelse

i have a wireless router for my house and a lot of people in the house it but some people download torrent with it and i want a software that i can use to monitor and limit the bandwidth on their pcs

2. Terry

Many thanks. I have a D-link that supports SNMP so will have a look at the Cacti option.

3. Dave Drager

There is only one way to gather this information and that is at the router or switch you have installed on your network.

This depends on what equipment you have. I have a WRT54G router which I have installed Tomato firmware on. This will allow you to monitor the total bandwidth.

If you want even better graphs, you can use software which will tally the information from the router at regular intervals. I use Cacti to poll the router, and this then stores the information over time.

My instructions on how to do this with a WRT54G/Tomato router are here:

http://systembash.com/content/how-to-install-snmp-on-tomato-router-firmware-and-graph-traffic-with-cacti/

However if you have a router which already supports SNMP, then you just need to install
    Cacti and have it poll that router. There are also paid solutions which can poll this information in Windows, Cacti is simply a PHP program that runs on any server which can execute PHP (and it is free!)