How good is NTFS Undelete compared to other software?

John Earle January 2, 2012

Your review of NTFS Undelete is now a year old. I am considering paying for this product, but would like an update on people’s experience with it. Has there been any further feedback on whether it compares favourably with (e.g.) Recuva?

1. John E

Thank you all for these suggestions which I appreciate.  Recuva has found everything I needed and seems amazingly powerful for a free program.

Many thanks.

well you can make a scan and compare the result to other freeware and shareware, results can vary from a pc to another and how strongly files were deleted.

Hello, I used the old versions of NTFS undelete but it was a while ago...It worked ok in some cases.  If it is for trying to recover deleted files, you should be ok with recuva if the file/files have not been overwritten.  For a better free option, I would recommend testdisk.  Only hiccup is that it runs from command terminal:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

I have used Active File Recovery with great success even after drive was reformatted and a new system is installed.  It is a paid software but it works good. 

http://www.file-recovery.net/

The version is link is specifically made to recover deleted files.  There is also the Active partition recovery software as anothe option.  I have heard and read good comments about the option Mike gave you.  One of this days, I will probably try it. 

4. John E

Thank you for this comment.  I shall try Recuva first since everyone speaks so highly of it and then if necessary look at R-Studio.

Does R-Studio do anything that NTFS Undelete doesn't?

My original question was aimed at discovering how NTFS Undelete stood up to the opposition now that it is no longer free.

I haven't tried any recent version of NTFS Undelete so I'm not sure how it compares to other current software.

As for R-Studio it basically is a fully-fledged software as used by data recovery services.

Does it do anything NTFS Undelete doesn't?
      Well, for starters it is not limited to NTFS & FAT but can also read various UNIX file systems including HFS+ from Macs. You can even recover data from RAID volumes (if you have the time and determination).

As an example, you could take you Windows drive, format it on a Mac as HFS+ and then install some Linux with EXT3 . Even then R-Studio would still be able to recover Windows files saved on NTFS [as long as the sectors have not been overwritten ~ which is the limitation for any recovery software].

I don't want you to spend money on some software which you may not even need. Try Recuva and whatever else you can find. If you are still interested download R-Studio (it comes with a trial) ~ maybe you won't like it simply because of the GUI or various options you don't need.

I suggest to check out the recovery software in the Best of Windows software list

The only paid recovery software I can recommend is R-Studio. The full version costs a bit more ($79.99) but is able to recover from pretty much all file systems you will ever come across in a private setting.