What good are laptop coolers?

Sahil April 21, 2011

I live in India and nowadays temperature has reached 40°C and soon it will be 48-50°C.

I have a Dell Inspiron N5010. I use a software TechPowerUp GPU-Z to monitor temperature and it shows :

1. ~60°C normal surfing on net, MS Word, etc
2. 70-75°C using AutoCAD, 3Ds MAX or any other ‘heavy’ software.
3. higher while gaming (since last week my laptop keeps crashing while gaming, and the software’s Log feature shows that the temperature reaches 110°C)

While gaming I disable Windows Aero and Microsoft Security Essentials, and other programs in system tray.

Therefore I wanted a suggestion on a good laptop cooler, which helps in keeping the temperature down as many of my friends say that it is of no use.

Please mention laptop cooler of some genuine companies, which would be AVAILABLE in India.

Please help!

I have Windows 7 x64

1. Sahil Dave

Hello people,

See the attached picture. The Inlet for the air flow is on the right top corner, and the other three in the middle would be of something else.

The question is - i was getting a laptop cooler with only one big fan, about 15cm diameter in the center somewhat like this http://www.flipkart.com/computers/cooling-pads/cooler-master-notepal-x-lite-acccxscfwyhgm5mg . I was confused as the main inlet is in the corner and the fan is in the middle
    Will the fan in the middle be beneficial for the laptop or should i search a one with fan at the corners.

Can anyone suggest me good coolers ?? The suggested above are all with fan in center.

2. Prateek Kumar Singh

Well, well, well...those of you guys who think overheating in a laptop is caused by clogging of vents and blah blah are wrong.
    A "laptop" gets overheated very badly than a desktop because of its design.
    The components inside its body are very densely packed with the CPU and GPU and the RAM being packed very close to one another. All this heat affects other components like HDD too.
    Thats why a laptop's upper side(with the keyboard and touchpad) get hot at times while gaming.

On second thought, newer processors generate much more heat than their predecessors(being the reason why laptop coolers are a "NECESSITY" "NOW" and were not 'then').
    Newer processors like the Core i series do much more work because they are multi-processors(like 2,4, or 8 physical processors).

3. Akshat Kedia
  4. Ergys Ura

Well mate you might wanna be careful with the temperature there, it seems that your putting a lot of pressure on the little guy and increased environmental pressure could just be enough to even burn the hell out of your GPU or CPU , as the Steve mentioned above , try to buy a not too expensive but not too cheap one, if you have a look at the specs behind every casing, it shows the rpm and the dBa(loudness) as you wouldn't want an airplane on your lap.But i advise you buy one as soon as possible.

5. Paul Gwilliam

Coolers are OK but - are you curing the symptom and not the cause? In most cases the overheating is caused by the cooling system becoming clogged with dust. This is a common failing of most laptop designs.

Instructions on accessing the heat-sink/fan can be found at http://www.adinochang.com/archives/cleaning-dell-inspiron-5100-cooling-fan-part-1.html

Try the above first as it may well save you spending money needlessly.

6. Guest

Make sure the vents are clean, first of all...

7. Darwin

You might want to read this article from a site I visit. They talked about what type of cooler should you get. Also they have another way to reduce the temperature which is by undervolting.
    Links: http://dottech.org/tipsntricks/21033 (For Buying a Cooler Tips) http://dottech.org/tipsntricks/4932 (For Undervolting)
    I haven't really tried undervolting yet. My laptop's temperature is still normal. Anyway I think the best way to lower the temperature is by putting the laptop where the room's temperature is not hot. Another way is to clean the insides of your laptop. Maybe the internal fan of your laptop is filled with dust and so couldn't cool the laptop itself. Use a vacuum cleaner. :)

8. Steve Campbell

Laptop coolers are definitely useful when you find that your laptop's fan is constantly running because your computer is continually overheating. I've been using one for a while now and I like using it.

I wouldn't worry about finding a "good" (and therefore expensive) one as they all really do the same thing in the end. I originally purchased a decent one and it broke on me relatively quickly, so I bought a cheaper one and actually haven't had any problems with it.