What’s a good free distraction blocker for Windows?

Chris Collins February 1, 2012

I found Temptation Blocker, but I can’t get it to work. me from Call Of Duty 4, Steam, Tweetdeck and etc. I need to finish my work!

1. Craig Snyder

As aforementioned, AppLocker is just about the best chance you'll have here.

But again, no matter what happens, you know within yourself that any "blocker" or security measure you put in the way is reversible. You simply have to toughen up mentally and search for a reason to do the things that you need to do. I experience these same issues a lot, man. You're not alone.
    I've not been diagnosed, but I fear I suffer from ADHD and OCPD, two conditions that really cramp my style and bloat my workload. All it takes is one big unexpected event to happen, like a bill past due or a threatening reprimand and then I'm kicked back into gear.

Eventually, if you keep it up that is what is going to happen, and it'll save you. But I'm warning you, you don't want to let it get you to that point. You'll soon find yourself incredibly stressed out and moody over your procrastination and lack of accomplishment and you'll realize that you simply have to do what you need to do in order to even feel good anyway.

It sounds like a bunch of hocus pocus and garbage, but you'll see soon enough. I can't help you any more specifically, but I do hope that you find a way to fight the temptations. Online gaming and social networking is a drug that is tough to pull away from sometimes.

2. Karkala Nayak

One Thing that is greater than these apps is Your own MIND...One thing you always have to remember is that You should be controlling Your Mind and not the opposite where the Mind is controlling you...You should have the highest priority in saying "NO" to your Mind,when you are tempted to do other things while doing one particular work.... Your Determination and Motivation toward that particular work is/will be the best key in finishing off your set work[on time]...

Adopt to these rules and you will never have to depend on anything else....

• Chris Collins

I have no motivation, I'm uninspired and there's no other courses that interest me, the tech classes in my school are garbage, if I don't get some software to stop me I won't graduate, I'll just play quake live & cod 4 all day & night

English 12 (after 11 of them I really don't care) 
      Film History (star wars q&a & film techniques)
      Psychology 12
      Rock & roll history (hippie & jazz movements oh boy)

• Jay.0

Find the exe file of your game and rename .exe to .postexam.
        Worked for me when I was in school.

(One more option:
        Either delete the game or finish all the levels :)

• Karkala Nayak

Come on brother, If you hold on to words like "No motivation" & "uninspired", then how will you ever give a chance to yourself to change..you will be playing unfair to yourself and to your mind...Try enjoying every bit of your classes even though they appear "uninspired"..keep your spirits high...try participating in every single activity in your 'tech classes and surely at the end of the day, you will be amazed to see the magic that you have done to your self...other than just relying on software that was developed by our own kind. 

Anyway you are your own boss, and if you want to continue with the software, then no one has the priority in stopping you...Also want to tell you that, The magic that your
        brain can do…..that magic,no other app or software can do....

Gud days then....

3. Jay.0

Do it without any software.

Block websites : by editing host file. %systemdrive%/windows/system32/drivers/etc

Block programs by renaming the extensions of exe files.

try applocker
    http://www.smart-x.com/products/tools/applocker/

you can make two accounts on windows one for work and one for games.
    Right click the program / folder go to properties / security and have only your id have rights on it.

• Chris Collins

thanks dude