What are some good email providers that do not snoop on you?
Question by uvas /

What are my options for email providers that do not snoop on you or build profiles about you? (Gmail and Yahoo Mail is out, obviously.)

I don’t care for fancy bells and whistles. Hopefully, just a folder/label function, a search function, and (dare I wish it) a way to archive everything into a zip file.

I heard about GMX but feel unsure because even popular companies came & went (like Bebo in england).

• Mjevolve

there is a solution , 
    if you worry about the privacy and anonymity of you and your mails and messages .

use encryption to send and receive messages .

Enigmail (  http://enigmail.mozdev.org/home/index.php.html  ) is an open source application for sending and receiving encrypted  e-mails .
    use it with — Thunderbird (  http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/  ) 
    and you can rest aside your worries of any body snooping around your communications .

use it with any e-mail provider , it supports all .

no need to look for any separate service provider which does not tracks you !

go through the web site , it has all the instructions to get you set up and running .

you can even use , Email Signing Digital Certificates from Comodo . they are free .
    work the same way . ( http://www.comodo.com/home/email-security/free-email-certificate.php  )

hope it helps … :)

• uvas

Hi Mjevolve,

But encrypting only protects your outgoing messages, & not incoming ones, right? If so, being able to read (or scan in the case of Yahoo + Gmail) one side of the conversation is nearly just as good as reading the whole thing — in the age of data mining.

I’m not a spy or anything, more like a very private person. I’m looking for a happy medium between being paranoid & letting someone like Google find out more about me than my mother.

• Mjevolve

hello , sorry for the late reply …..

yes thats right uvas , 
      the mails have to be Digitally signed in order to prevent snooping around them .

its hard to say about the level of anonymity available with most of the common corporate email services . ( we all know what Google is capable of …!!  )
      but 
      there is one email service that was born out of concern of Surveillance Security .
      that is preventing email communications from prying eyes …

its known for its high anonymity and security levels — RiseUp Mail ..

in synopsis , this is what they say about themselves —  ” We strive to keep our mail as secure and private as we can. We even do not log your IP address. ”

check here —  https://help.riseup.net/en/about-us   .

its an invitation based mail service and not open to all .

you can check with their Donor services if you wish to have an account .

on a late thought , one email service which says it  does not check the users messages at any level is  GMX  (  gmx.us  )
      now how true to their word, can be any bodys guess , but the service is good .
      you can check ..

hope the info helps …. 

• Mulder

You don’t need to worry about them building profiles about you, since they’re only interested in serving you ads, not selling your information. The greatest threat is the government intercepting your communication, so the only way around that is to send only encrypted email.

GMX is part of the same enterprise as United Domains and 1&1
    Considering that they recently acquired mail.com I also doubt they will stop the freemail service anytime soon.

As for building profiles I would say they are not really of concern. They do ask for your full name, address and bank details obviously because they want you to use their paid services but that’s it. If you are fine with the free account you can give them any (false) information.

• Osama

Try operamail.com