What’s a good computer configuration for movie making?

deepak kapoor January 4, 2012

I want to purchase a new computer for movie making. My budget is about $500 USD. What is the best combination of hardware for my purposes?

1. Monica The Hacker

You can already buy a good desktop computer with your USD500.

If you're planning for a laptop with that amount, I think you'll be short of the performance.
    Don't buy computer package. It's better to assemble (choose the parts) your own PC so that you can invest on the specs that will help you the most like PROCESSOR, RAM, GRAPHICS CARD and CACHE.
    The L3 (Level 3) CACHE is probably the least known item of your computer, for non-techies. But the CACHE is just as important and works just like your RAM. The processor fetches instructions faster from the CACHE than from the RAM. The larger the CACHE the better. Normally, desktop computers run with a 512KB to 2MB L1 or L2 CACHE. So, for your USD500, buy a multi-core processor that don't heat up easily with a 3MB-5MB L3 CACHE, 4GB RAM, and a 1 GB PCI-type Video Card.

You can lower RAM to 2GB and Video Card to 500MB if the budget is short. Don't settle for a lower CACHE!

I hope this will help. Good luck.

• Anish007

Thanks a lot for the info. how do i communicate more about the topic to you. my email id is anish007@in.com

2. Jay.0

It depends on the software you are going to use and it's hardware requirements. 

For example if your application does profit from graphics acceleration e.g. CUDA or OpenCL you should look for a machine with a moderate CPU, a lot of RAM and a good graphics card.

If the software does all the rendering or encoding via the CPU there is no reason to invest money into a high-end graphics card.