How to go about replacing a cable company-provided modem for better speeds?

Anonymous January 18, 2014

I’d like to replace the modem that was provided by my ISP, preferably with 2 ethernet ports. Is this modem type available? If not, what can I use for appyling two ethernet cables?

1. Ray

Go to your local computer store and look for a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. Take it home, hook it up and call you cable company, tell them you need to register a new modem. Big speed increase here. But as mentioned above, if you are wirelessly connected it will may not help.

You did not say which cable provider you are using but here is a link to a provider's page listing different modems. Notivce the D3 column.

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Thanks for answering, the provider is TWC, by the way. I use ethernet and prefer it that way due to some paranoid hang-ups about wireless vulnerabilities.
      I don't terribly mind the speed, though faster wouldn't hurt (the network data lists it as 100 mb/s, but downloads are from 1.5 to 15 according to speed tests).

TWC has a list of approved modems, but I'm not quite sure which one to get, since future progress in service might require the better (pricier) models.

I'm also not sure if a router would hamper the speeds, though it sounds like a great investment.

2. James B

You wont get better speeds by replacing your cable modem, and you cant do that anyway since it has baked-in security protocols.

If it’s the wireless speed thats slow, you can simply plug a new wireless router into one of the ehternet ports on your modem. If you're on ethernet and it's slow, then you simply have a slow internet connection and nothing you can do about it.

Probably you have ADSL internet. This is last generation and runs over the phone lines; it's affected by lots of things, but basically its slow and the speed rating is unreliable. Upgrade to a fibre connection if you want better speeds and to achieve the quoted speed (mine was sold as 60mb/sec. I get 60mb/s. ADSL might be sold at 5mb/sec, but its more likely you'd get 1mb/sec).