Which is better Gnome or Fluxbox?

Dhanush August 10, 2010

I have a pretty old system. I am thinking of trying Mint and I have already tried Ubuntu.

I have a 1.6 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, and I can allot 5 GB hard disk space for it. And I am not planning to install any programs on it because I have Windows.

So please suggest me the best one. I am open to new options, too. Don’t suggest Ubuntu, I have already tried it.

1. Tomhawk13

Try Mint, but stay away from Gnome and KDE. You don't have the ram for it. Try the XFCE, LXDE, or Fluxbox edition. Make sure you check the MD5 checksum before burning to cd. I got rid of Vista and replaced it with Mint and couldn't be happier.

Ubuntu uses Gnome. If you do not like ubnutu, you will not like Gnome. I have to say this though, Ubuntu is designed for new users. If you do not like Command Line, stay away from Unix. Please do not take this the wrong way, Unix is not for designed for new users.

I agree with Richard here. While Ubuntu seem user friendly on the first sight when it comes to troubleshooting (even for common issues like drivers, Bluetooth settings etc) in most cases you will need to use the command line to fix it.

Aibek