Why does Gmail reveal my “logged in” eMail account although I sent the eMail from another account?

MacInt March 27, 2010

A little background: in Gmail you can send email from accounts you aren’t currently logged into. The logged in account will be called emailA and the sent from account will be called emailB.

Today I logged into emailA and sent an email from emailB, so far so good. When I got the reply though, while the reply was sent to emailB in the reply it said: From: emailA [mailto:emailA] On Behalf Of emailB, followed by my message and his reply.

How is this possible?

Using DIfferent email accounts to send things

1. MacInt

Thanks Taty that makes sense, btw, is there anyway to get around that?

See I would, but I've gotten attached to gmail I don't know what I would do without it also I use like eight email accounts and they amass a total of ~10GB which isn't really all that much but why waste, ya' know?

If you frequently need to send emails from different IDs then I would strongly recommend using an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird. I personally use Thunderbird and have my two email accounts connected to it.

3. Taty

OOOHHHH. That person was probably using Outlook or a similar service. Gmail actually adds that information to all of its email when it's being sent from Gmail, but with a different email. It's a protection to ensure the email doesn't get tag as spam. Most services will jut read the address and show from: the email you chose. A few services, such as Outlook, will actually show the email and the original email it came from, such as the "on behalf of" message you saw. Unfortunately I don't think there is any way to change that without actually reconfiguring how your email is sent or pointing the mx to Gmail.

4. Taty

Did you log off email A before sending the message with email b? Gmail usually will log you off , but if you are opening two accounts and not logging off the other, especially from browsers that hold on to the cache, like Safari, Gmail might have not detected you were using a different account and that could have caused the problem. Always log off one account before opening another or use different browsers for each one.

• MacInt

I wasn't clear, when I said I was sending from emailB I meant within emailA, using gmail's "send from a different account" feature.