Can you give me advice for cloning my hard drive?

Richard April 27, 2010

Once I clone my HD using one of the available packages, I essentially have a HD with a partition which matches exactly the drive I copied with no extra room on it. I can then resize the partition using Partition Magic or other partitioning software.

Is this a possible work-around for creating extra space?
On the original HD, pack it full of stuff I can erase later, which will free up space. My original is 120GB with 72GB used. Can I fill this up to the limit and will the chaff be erasable leaving extra space?

That’s the gist of it. Will it work? Thanks in advance.

1. Taty

Depending on the Windows version you have, you can go to Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management and use windows to create a new partition for you.

Richard, one suggestion. Instead of resizing the partition that holds a clone of your HD why not to create a new partition out of the unallocated space. This will let you keep the clone intact and at the same time utilize remaining space.

3. Mr Xhark

Yes, use PartedMagic or GParted to do this