Why am I getting spams sent to my MakeUseOf registration address, which I set up specifically for it?

Richard M August 23, 2014

I signed up using the email address: makeuseof@xxxxxxxxx.com (the ‘xxxxx’ being replaced with my own domain.) I’m now getting daily spam from all over the place. This is the only site where I used this email (and I use a dedicated email address on every different site so I know with almost 100 percent accuracy when promises have been broken and my email address has been shared or sold.

Can you please explain how this happened? Does your rewards coordination site punchtab.com have different privacy policies regarding email addresses?

Waiting to hear your thoughts.

1. Howard B

You mentioned the email is coming in to your own domain....if you're getting spam from different recipients (such as "webmaster@xxxxxxxx.com", "info@xxxxxxxx.com" and "sales@xxxxxxxx.com"), try removing the "catch-all" account or setting it to "discard" or "discard with undeliverable message" so that you're not getting emails from undeliverable (not set up) email addresses pouring into your account. This way you'll only get email sent to accounts (or forwarders) that have been set up, and spammers will have a much harder time since the "guessable" email addresses won't be delivered.

There is always the chance to receive spam on addresses even if you never used them anywhere. I have had it in the past on a freemail service and I see random tries to recipients on the servers I administrate too.