Why am I getting no sound from my laptop, despite all audio settings looking OK?

Frustrated November 30, 2014

I have no sound on my HP laptop – speakers and headphones do not work. When I watch a video or play music and click on the speaker icon, I can see sound being detected … I just can’t hear anything. All tests indicate speakers are working (which they’re not).

One recommendation was to reset BIOS …

In Update and Recovery, is it safe to click on “refresh your PC without affecting your files”?

1. Vinod Tiwari

Sound card inside the laptop has occurred proble, try to reinstall the audio driver or update it.. But firstly uninstall.. The reinstall simply.

2. Jessy2014

Try to re-install ur sound driver.

3. effimote

yes i think it is your laptop audio chip got problem inside ,that is why
    you cannot play the sound

if thats the case then there are some hardware benchmarking tools, some results can be ontained
      http://www.passmark.com/

4. Camille James

I m also not getting sound when i play video through media player but when I visit videos website like http://www.makeuslive.com. the sound is works fine. my media player sound is on and full. can anyone suggest me what to do to resolve this issue?

which version of windows you have?, which mediaplayer?

• Doc

Might be an audio codec problem. Check the media information (right-click the file, select "Properties" and go through the tabs) and make sure the correct audio codec(s) are installed.

5. elily

1. OPEN YOUR "CONTROL PANEL"...THEN OPEN "HARDWARE AND SOUND"
    2. LOOK FOR AND CLICK OPEN "DEVICE MANAGER"
    3. SCROLL DOWN TO '' SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLER''
    4. RIGHT CLICK "SOUND VIDEO AND GAME OPTION"...THEN AN OPTION WILL COME UP SAYING..."SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES"...CLICK IT AND HEY PRESTO...YOUR SOUNDS AND VIDEO AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING.
    Start windows audio service
    1) Click on Start and Run
    2) Type the following command and press Enter

services.msc

3) Scroll down to Windows Audio in the right-hand column and double-click on it,

4) Make sure the Startup Type is set to Automatic and click on the Start button under Service Status.

• Doc

If the Audio Service isn't running, there wouldn't be a speaker icon in the tray, would there?
      Also, why was the first 3/4 of your reply SHOUTING in all caps?

@Frustrated: It may be the speaker output ribbon cable has been disconnected from the motherboard...open the laptop (or get a technically inclined person to help you with it) and check that the speakers and headphone jack are properly connected to the motherboard.

• Frustrate

@Doc, thanks I'll give it a try. I'll have a tech person open it up, I hope it's just a loose wire. I have a speaker icon, it shows sound detection. Just can't hear anything with and without headphones.

HP gives me an option to refresh computer without affecting files, but I think programs (apps) will need to be reinstalled ... that would be a pain.

• Frustrate

@Doc, I was able to open up the computer myself, couldn't identify speaker output ribbon cable. The cables I did see seemed to be okay. Is there a way to identify it. There's also a quarter sized black plastic covered connecter near the hard drive ribbons - can it be disconnected (and reconnected) or is it permanently attached? It gets in the way if I want to fully removed the bottom.

6. Frustrate

Thanks. If I try it will it erase all my files and programs?

try a hard reset.
    1) Turn the laptop off.
    2) Remove the power cable and the battery.
    3) Hold down the power button for 15 sec.
    This should reset the hardware in the computer.
    4) Plug battery and power cable
    5) As you turn laptop back on tap the F10 key. This will load BIOS setup utility.
    6) Press F9 to load defaults.
    7) Press F10 to save and exit.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=fr&lc=fr&dlc=fr&tmp_geoLoc=true&docname=c01684768

Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8)
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03489643&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
    Apps you installed from websites and DVDs will be removed. Apps that came with your PC and apps you installed from the Windows Store will be reinstalled. Windows puts a list of removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.