Why am I not getting MakeUseOf points, and what’s happening to the reward system?

Crazie Flawed N September 7, 2014

When are you all gonna get more rewards? And for some reason, I’m liking – Google+ (ing) and tweeting different articles yet i’m not getting the points. What could be the problem?

1. Chinmay S

Even if MakeUseOf Rewards is going away, you should be getting new points. Today I got 20 points just by sharing an article on Facebook and Twitter.

2. Rob H

I'm disappointed. I could get a t-shirt with my points but I got one before and ended up paying about £15 for customs to open it and then charge duty. OK so MUO screwed up by creating a system open to abuse and didn't monitor it and react fast enough. My points were all earned from the older system, getting rewarded for posting useful content, I never bothered with the system of getting points for social network sharing which seems to be where people found an opportunity to game the system.

I'd be happy to donate my points to charity but just telling us "tough, use them quick (for one of very few reward choices) or lose them" is pretty shabby treatment.

you can email to makeuseof team regarding the £15 to get an explanation.
      http://www.makeuseof.com/about/

• Chinmay S

But delivery to your home should be completely free. You shouldn't have paid a single dime.

• Rob H

"But delivery to your home should be completely free. You shouldn’t have paid a single dime."
      Well go argue that with UK customs. Tax is payable on imported items valued above £15. Although the item in question was a prize it had a commercial value above that threshold. Tax had not been declared and paid in advance so customs charge the tax plus a handling fee. RedBubble who fulfilled the order were aware of the problem (even had a page about it on their web site) and offered to send me another T free which I declined as that too would attract the tax and handling fee.

Anyway this is really getting off topic. In my opinion MUO's "use it or lose it" approach when there is so little choice is pretty shabby treatment. If the scheme has been abused and they want to drop it without those who abused the scheme profiting I'd be happy with an option of converting each 100 points to $1 donation to a charity.

well i got a tshirt from makeuseof like 3years ago, did not pay TAX, hope the new tshirts that will arrive in coming weeks will be tax free! Makeuseof cant be responsible with UK customs....

3. Ben S

As per the link Hovsep provided, MakeUseOf Rewards are going away. If you don't have enough points to redeem for anything right now, I apologize, but we are phasing out the system.

Thanks for your patronage and we hope you'll enjoy the great things coming soon!

MakeUseOf Rewards Is Going Away – Spend Those Points Now!
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/makeuseof-rewards-going-away-spend-points-now/