Why am I not getting an image from my webcam?

naveed October 10, 2014

I am using Windows 7. My PC camera is installed and up to date but it does not show any picture. What should I do now?

First of all, run Device Manager and see if it shows up there. It should be listed under "Sound, video and game controllers". If it is listed and marked as working, run Skype and see if you can get the picture there. Possible scenarios:
    - If the camera works in Skype, the camera and the driver are OK, the problem may be in your camera app.
    - If the camera is not listed in device manager, or listed as not working, you have a problem with the driver. Reinstall it.
    - If the camera is shown as working in device manager, but is not detected (or not working) in Skype, it could be that the camera itself is at fault, or that the driver is up to date. Try updating the driver and see if that helps.