Why am I getting calendar notifications from a Hotmail account I no longer use?

Lucy October 31, 2014

I haven’t used my hotmail account in a very long time, having moved over to gmail. However, over the last year I have started to receive calendar notifications to my gmail account. I haven’t turned these on and I haven’t used my hotmail account since 2012. I want to turn them off, but when I click the link in the emails to stop them it takes me to the Microsoft log in page and when I try and log in with my old details, I am told the account doesn’t exist.

Help! How can I stop these emails?

1. CJ Cotter

This is why I got rid of my Hotmail account a long time ago. They started sending nagging notices about my not using the calendar.

To delete your MS account, log into it, click on your name, ”Account settings” and choose “Close account”.

3. Lucy

How very strange. I never would have thought of using my gmail account log in for Microsoft. That seems to have worked though.

I could have sent the emails straight to my junk folder, but I'd much rather know the account was dormant/deleted.

Thanks. Now to work out how to remove the Microsoft account entirely...

• Jan F.

Glad you were able to get into your Microsoft account.

Unless you are certain you don't need the Microsoft Account for anything else I would suggest to just disable the notifications.

Go to outlook.com and log in
      Click on the tile image at the top left and select Calendar
      At the Calendar page click at the gear image (top right) and select Options
      Click "Your Calendar" at the Edit your reminder and calendar settings section
      uncheck the email notifications at the bottom of the page

4. Jan F.

Since you receive notifications to your Gmail account have you tried signing in using your Gmail address and your old Hotmail password?

Hotmail has long evolved into being your Microsoft ID used for all sorts of services offered by Microsoft. Having a Hotmail or Outlook.com email address doesn't necessarily mean that this address is your account name used to sign in.
    Also, if you changed your Microsoft ID password somewhere else (outside of Hotmail/outlook.com) it will also effect the Hotmail/Outlook.com login.

If you are not able to recover your account at you could just setup a rule within Gmail to automatically discard the emails.