Why am I getting a black Screen when starting up with 8800 GTS?

Anonymous February 7, 2014

I have a prob, with a GeForce8800 GTS 512mb.

I got it from a secondhand site and all was fine until I started to overclock. Nothing big, overclock at 16% and the temp was 60*C which isn’t so high. But when I started the PC the next day, I only got a black screen, no BIOS, no safe mode, no nothing.

I have a:

Pentium D 805 2.66
Gigabyte ga-8i945pl-g as motherboard
500 MB RAM DDR II/ 4 slots X 500=2GB
Acopia dual fan it-25f2 -PSU

I know the motherboard isn’t dead because I tested it with my other GPU, and it worked.
I Did a BIOS reset – still getting black screen
Changed the RAM position
Tried with other monitor
Tested DVI-VGA adapter with the other GPU and it works
Still nothing works

I noticed that now when I start the PC, the GPU fan speed doesn’t change. I mean it;s at 100% but when I had an image on the screen at the start up,the fan speed was at 100% only for 3 sec, then it changed lets say at 50% after those 3 sec.

Should I try the bake fix or its a certain dead card? Sorry for my spelling mistakes, hope you can give me an answer. Cheers.

1. Roth

If I were to guess, then your hard drive. You can try disconnecting them and reconnecting them. Be careful not to touch certain parts, and static-proof yourself prior to it. It's always good to have a backup hard drive with Windows pre-installed. Otherwise, you can scan the drive for errors as a slave, then reinstall Windows if you need to.

• Ganja M

1 more thing.I remember when i overclocked it,after a period of time i put the pc to hibernate and i dindnt had the patience to w8 till it will shutdown to hibernate so i holded shutdown button for 5 sec to shutdown.Could this have an negative effect on the gpu?

well if another GPU works fine then it can be your GPU is dead for some reasons maybe because didnt have enough power, but in that case there are security measures like windows will shutdown, now if your GPU still has the Overclocking settings inside then this can explain why you dont have normal screen so you have to clear the settings inside the GPU, probably this will not work in your pc so you should try on another pc with enough power supply.

3. Ganja M

{well the mobo has a jumper with only 2 pins near the cmos battery.I connected it(the pc didnt start when i pressed start up button) and when i entered bios with the old gpu the time and date was random(12.4.1995) so didnt I do a right cmos clean?}

-The gpu has a jumper 2,When i connected it,nothing happened,the gpu started as usually(full speed)-

I will try the gpu at a friends pc.See how it turns out.

Given the testing you've done, the problem is clearly not with the motherboard or any of the components on it, but either with the GeForce card itself, or with the power supply (a common problem with graphics cards).
    If you can test it with another known, good power supply (preferably with a higher rating), do so.
    As for the card, you may be able to reset its CMOS/BIOS (not the motherboard's BIOS!). Exactly how to do it, if the option is available at all, depends on the exact card, so you'll need to check your manual, but certainly some graphics cards have a jumper or a switch for the purpose.
    Baking, on the other hand, certainly won't help. If you damaged it by overclocking (seems unlikely, but you never know), then the damage will have been to actual components, and baking would not help as all it does is reflow the solder contacts between the chips and the motherboard.

• Ganja M

I connected the gpu jumper but nothing happen( still full speed fan and no image).

Sry if its double posting.

• Ganja M

my power cord is missing a pin: http://www.kenable.co.uk/images/150_3308.jpg
      is that right?